Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 21:10:09 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Syncro propshaft vibration mystery
Comments: cc: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>

> From: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU> > Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:57:58 -0600 > > I need help finding the source of a vibration in my '87 Syncro. > [...] Removal of the propshaft eliminates the vibration.

Is there a big chunk of mud or goo stuck to the propshaft or one of the drive axles somewhere? OK, OK, you've been under the van enough by now that you probably would have seen it, but you never know. (Step One of the "engine turns over but won't start" in Muir is "Is there gas in the tank?")

This may not be possible in a Syncro, but I know that on mostly older American rear-wheel-drive cars, it is possible to clock/index the driveshaft with respect to the differential flange and/or the transmission output flange. In other words, if there is a flange with four bolts, you can bolt up the driveshaft to the flange in any of four ways by rotating the flange. This is sometimes done to fix vibrations in the driveshaft. The usual procedure is something like: clock the driveshaft 180 degrees and go drive; if the problem is gone or livable, you're good; if it didn't improve much or got worse, clock it 90 degrees and try again; then clock it another 180 degrees if that didn't work.

You may be able to have the propshaft balanced off of the van just to eliminate it from the equation. In most big cities, there is a shop or two that does nothing but CV axles, driveshafts, propshafts, etc and they can probably do the balancing. A 4x4 shop might also be able to do it.

A DIY option might be to get ahold of some of those flat metal weights that the tire shops use to balance fancy rims, where people don't want the usual lead weights clipped over the lip of the rim. Then experiment with those weights and maybe some duct tape to see if you can balance out the propshaft yourself. This will require a _lot_ of driving, stopping, fiddling, driving some more, etc.

Matt Roberds