Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 May 2007 22:21:42 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [VB] Re: Westy Front Seatbelt Extension/Replacement?
Comments: To: Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net>
Comments: cc: vintagebus@type2.com, C B <cunegonde.van.westfalia@gmail.com>

Yep, this was a VERY short-lived thing called the Seat Belt Interlock Relay system prevalent on 74 Beetles, Ghias & 412s. Never appeared on the Type 2 that year for some reason and has never reappeared on any VW model since. It was used only one year because the USDOT required it in that model year for all cars in the USA, not just VW. The DOT regulation was quickly rescinded because of thousands of problems reported by very irate drivers who couldn't start the vehicle even when correctly buckled up. An idea that technology couldn't quite handle at the time. In later Bentley Book wiring diagrams for the Type 1, they have a supplement page on how to defeat the system by placing certain jumpers at the Interlock Relay connection block. Funny, as technology caught up, the USDOT never re-implemented the regulation. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 5/23/07, Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net> wrote: > > > From: C B <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM> > > Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:37:49 -0700 > > Does anyone know if I have to jump the brown wires emerging from the > > driver's buckle? I have no annoying buzzer when I don't fasten the > > buckle, so a PO must have disabled it. But will the van start/run? > It shouldn't be a problem. The relay that wouldn't let the starter run > if the belts aren't buckled was a 1970s thing - my '74 Bug has one and > I think they may have been installed for one or two years after that, > but I'm fairly sure Vanagons never had them. You will probably have an > annoying light and buzzer but you can still start and run the car. > I don't remember what it was, but I saw a movie or TV show on TV that > was probably shot in the mid-70s, and one of the cars (some American > four-door) had the same relay. The guy got in the driver's seat, shut > the door, and buckled up, but the engine wouldn't start. He had to open > the back door and fiddle with the rear seatbelts to get the car to > start. I seem to think the guy was a cop and getting the car started > was a prerequisite for chasing the bad guy, but I don't remember for > sure. > Matt Roberds