Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 May 2007 10:21:41 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - body squeaky noises
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Hi Dennis.

As always useful info.

Thanks for info re: air cooled vans. I doubt I have original parts on mine, (350K ++ km's) but ya never know. I'll have a look at upper control arm bolts.

I will inspect the bushings (squeeks are getting worse) but first I have to paw through and sort all the "new" Westy/Vanagon parts I just got !

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 5/22/07, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > Squeaky upper control arm bushing are a common problem. Mostly it has to do > with the design and/or quality of the bushings. If there is no play or > knocking, it is OK to keep using them. Sometimes, they will get so stiff as > to affect the ride. The test! Remove the bolts holding the arm to the top > ball joint. Move the arm up and down. It should move with some resistance, > smoothly and silently. If you need a wrench or hammer to move them, they > need replacing. > > For replacements, there are 3 or different brands or styles out there. So > far, Meyle has shown to work the best. I am having a brain freeze but the > red box ones are often to stiff and creak right out of the box. There is > also an unbranded one that is commonly supplied. This are noted by the poor > stamping quality where the corners almost have a rounded appearance. They > sometime distort going into Syncro arms. These are garbage. Even if they > work after installation, they will shortly disintegrate and start knocking. > > When re-installing the top bolts, use new ones and loc-tite. Back in the air > cooled days, there was a recall for loose upper control arm bolts. These > coming loose can be a real problem. Especially on Syncros, check the fit of > the bushings going into the mounts. Those eccentric washers are available in > different thicknesses. You don't want the cross bolt to preload them. > > Dennis > > >From: Leslie H Schwartz <lhs_emf@PACBELL.NET> > >Reply-To: Leslie H Schwartz <lhs_emf@PACBELL.NET> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon - body squeaky noises > >Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 10:16:23 -0700 > > > >Does this mean they should be replaced or lubricated, or just should be > >checked at the next service, or is this normal? Thanks! > > > >----- Original Message ---- > >From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:46:08 AM > >Subject: Re: 1985 Vanagon - body squeaky noises > > > >Upper control arm bushings! > > > > > > > > >From: Larry Word <larry_word@YAHOO.COM> > > >Reply-To: Larry Word <larry_word@YAHOO.COM> > > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > >Subject: 1985 Vanagon - body squeaky noises > > >Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:25:26 -0700 > > > > > >What causes this - every bump, squeaky..... > > > > > > My shocks and other front end parts appear OK. Going fast over a bump > > > is OK and I don't hear such squeaky noises so much w/ speed.... > > > > > > But go slow and squeaky....Advice? > > > > > > Larry > > > > > > > > >--------------------------------- > > >Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who > >knows. > > >Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. >