Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2007 14:59:02 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heater always blows hot
Comments: To: jack007@COMCAST.NET

Jack--

I think I was wise enough to have this problem for about the first year I owned my bus. I thought it was just the way the bus worked since it was new to me. My feet were always hot and bordered on uncomfortable.

Turns out the heater valve under the vehicle wasn't completely closing off the flow of hot coolant to the heater core in the passenger compartment.

The heater valve is under the bus, above the spare tire as I recall. Which means you have to drop the spare tire from it's tire rack under the bus. and then you'll see the coolant hoses and the heater valve which is turned on and off by a cable. The other end of the cable is the dash lever for heat control.

I cleaned the lever and lubricated it/cleaned with something like Liquid Wrench. Cleaned it real well and made sure it moved freely and would now close all the way. Then I dried it and let all the silicone I just sprayed evaporate before lubing it with some light grease movign it back and forth to properly lubricate it. (the liquid wrench isn't a lubricant really, so that's why you want to clean it off and lube with something that will stay slippery for a long while.)

I also lubed the cable with light grease as best I could at the dash by removing the heater control panel and getting into it's guts and lubing the cable as much as is possible with the limited amount of cable you can expose on that end. (the face plate for the heater control panel is likely brittle after all these years so be gentle with it.)

Since that little R&R its worked for 6 years just fine.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA