Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2007 22:16:11 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Me bugging you... again!

Hey hey hey....

Well, it's slow here so i thought i could bug you some more :-)

Like i said earlier, today i installed a rebuilt trany (From AA Transaxle) with a higher fourth gear (.77), with that fourth gear, you loose around 500-600 rpm. I also installed 4 new CV Joint kit (Lobro, i had almost 4 news one but hey, what the heck!!! So after the install... that went (sorry to say) twice faster than with a Wasser engine, i went for a ride... by the way, you need to rev the third a bit higher than before to shift to fourth, not that much, just a bit.

Ok, how can i say that! I now have +-170hp (Subaru 2.5L) compare to the 115-120 i had with my tornado red engine + Europe ECU (that engine was amazing by the way for a Wasser), on freeway, the Subi engine was reving to high for nothing (same rev as a wasser, the trany decide how your engine rev, not the engine)with the stock trany! but for the one that still want to drive at 65mph, the stock trany is fine, but now, you have almost twice the power, YOU CAN NOT!!! drive at normal slow speed, no, finito, kapout, asta la vista baby! So, instead of reving at 3800 at 65-70. you now rev at 3200-3300, WAY more nicer! for me, it just feel perfect, a little bit less torque of course but barely.

So, yea, you see me comming... i had to know! So first i sarted with a nice "Cruising" speed of 80mpg (130kmph), reving at around 3600-3800, men, that engine/van felt so nice/fine at that RPM and SPEED... i went back to 70 and it was so nice with plenty of power... not the typical wasser engine that want to scream for help at 75mph... NO, finaly! a nice VW camper van that can easily cruise at 75mph, yea, SO EASILY!

OK, with a side wind i decided to floor the pedal, clear view (i thought!)! 65 mph, a few seconds later, 85mph, at 90mph, the RPM was high enough so the engine felt just right and the needle went climbing fast at over 100mph... 105.. 107, 110 (GPS), 113mph...... STOPPPPPPPPPPPPP, coppppppppppss.....

Everything took about... 30 sec or so. i was barely just over 4000rpm, maybe 4200, maybe a bit amore, i don't careeeeeeeeeeee.

I went back to 70, smooth like hell... i went like that for a good 30 minutes... just cruising in this fine camper van that sadly, was built around the wrong engine.

I'm bugging you when i say... i'm bugging you ? but believe me, if you love your van, love that kind of roadtrip/travel style but have enough of that lasy unreliable power plant... go, invest some money! YOU WON'T REGRET IT, EVER!!! or go buy a modern camper at 65K$ +

I'm NOT telling you to go Subaru/Vanaru, i'm just telling you yo move foward! think different! go with a 1.8T, with a ZTEC, anything you want! and HEY, you are talking to a guy that FIX Wasser for living!!! I now can see myself crossing North Amrica in peace.... put the radio on and forget what's in the back!!!

Best regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/85westy_2_mecanique2.htm