Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 May 2007 22:09:02 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: How far can you go on a tank of gas?
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@gmail.com>

> From: PB <pbrattan@gmail.com> > Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:24:54 -0700 > > I asked this question because the P.O. has just told me that the van > got poor gas mileage - only 13-14 mpg! [...] I think I'll have to > go through a few tanks to establish my mpg,

Definitely do that. Try to use the same name brand and grade of gasoline for each tank, and use the same refueling procedure each time. If you can, try to drive in about the same conditions for each tank, or at least remember that you spent most of one tank driving around downtown and most of another tank out on the Interstate.

> but just for my own information, what would cause poor gas mileage in > a 4 cylinder vehicle, other than constant use of power draining items, > or a gas leak?

1) Driving habits 2) Driving habits 3) Driving habits

After that... underinflated tires, ignition timing set incorrectly, ignition advance not working, coil/plug wires/rotor/distributor cap/ spark plugs worn, air filter clogged up, fuel injection system troubles (bad sensors, vacuum/air hose leaks), internal engine wear, clutch slipping (if so equipped), transmission problems (oil/fluid full?), CV joint problem, bad wheel bearing, brake dragging (either mis-adjusted or you forgot to release the parking brake), aerodynamics (driving a Westy with the top up or hauling a parts Vanagon on the roof rack of your running Vanagon), too many bodies in the trunk/Westy closets, driving habits, etc...

Don't freak out at that long list, though. A lot of times it's something pretty simple and doing the normal tune-up things will fix it.

Matt Roberds