Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2007 23:44:36 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Friday Story
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

Yes Bro, it's friday!!! hey hey hey... just having fun...

I'm OFF and still, i'm talking "Vanagon"....

Ok, Oil pressure, well, you got it right! It's simply one very easy thing, let's put it simple, quantity of oil at the beginning (Oil pump generate flow and pressure, like for a battery, the ALT generate voltage that result in amp) and quantity and speed at the end is measure, what is lost in between (i said, let's keep that simple!!!) will show, a cretain lost is normal, this is where our sender (when working) will tell us that the pressure is to low. Today's engine have more "Strict" tolerance, no wear, rev higher. The wasser engine is: first, older in design and older for real, create less pressure by design... even new, and crave for thicker oil to create that pressure.

What i think is simple, wasser have way more tolerance before they break! yea! the gap betweeen crank to case to bearing can stand some gap, some other engine would not, so oil filled that gap, yea, the more thicker the more you fill the gap, oil as no time to go in between parts if to tick. But temperature play a big part, mostly when cold. 10W40 is fine most of the time but on older sick engine, it won't work on the long run. Yea, i said sick. I don't remember exactly but 10W40 was giving me 3 to 5 PSI less.

I'm a bit tired now so to end that thread for today, i will tell you that to much oil will create to much "pressure" in the case and on some parts, and that can also result in leaks, or gasket breakdown. But still, Oil weight VS air have a big effect on oil circulation/speed/pressure. On top, companie's have decided what the minimum and max oil level should be set so the internal part are not working to hard so it move that oil easily, if submerge, internal parts will have a harder time just moving, not even producing power.

So your right, bigger fuel consumption.

I hope i made sense, in some way's... to many Canadian beers... you all have a great night.

Ok, me dead... Ben