Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 May 2007 21:30:08 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Octane smoctane
Comments: To: jdd <johndillon@sympatico.ca>

To make any sense of these numbers you now have to factor in the price difference.

Are you getting one extra mile for 80-90 cents and is it worth it?

At local prices the regular unleaded is costing you only 25 cents a mile. I think. Long day, not enough beer. 8)

On 5/25/07, jdd <johndillon@sympatico.ca> wrote: > > I've been keeping very good records of my gas usage over the years .. > lately I'm been experimenting with 91 vs. 87 octane gas ... so ... > > I traveled 743 kms on 86.556 liters of 91 oct ... and ... 770 kms on > 92.827 liters of 87 oct ... this is an average over two fill-ups (I've > averaged it over 3 and 5 and get pretty much the same numbers) .. I get > 8.584 km/li, or 20.52 mpg U.S. or 24.24 mpg Imp on 91 oct and 8.245 km/li > or 19.71 mpg U.S. or 23.29 mpg Imp on the 87 oct ... the problem as I see > it is I did not control for speed ... I know that drive faster with 91 oct > than with 87 .. and I generally drive fast in the 78 (120 to 130 km/h) and > maybe 80% of my driving his hwy. > > So ... I travel 0.339 km further per liter, or 0.81 mi further per U.S. > gallon or 0.95 mi further per imp gallon ... on 91 oct vs. 87 oct . >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com