Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 May 2007 21:52:47 -0700
From:         C B <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Adjusting shifter

OK, how do I adjust the shifter mechanisms forward of the tranny and the shift lever/cup/ball directly attached to the tranny?

Clutch is functional (it got me to Portland in 1st and 2nd gear!) Tranny makes no noises and shifts through all 5 gears, with engine running, by hand at tranny Shift lever/ball/cup has cracked boots, but all parts seem intact. I haven't removed or adjusted them in any way since acquiring Cunegonde 2 months ago. Front shifter rod forks have the plastic ends on the ears, where the shift lever attaches Front shifter box inside spare tire well has a aluminum casting bolted on driver's side and bare steel rail welded on passenger side. Bentley says '83 should have a rubber bumper where the rail is. Not clear whether I use the 19, 21, or 22mm spacer to adjust the distance from the passenger side front shift rod ear. Bentley does not state distance front shifter rod fork should be below the plate (where the shifter enters the cab) or above the base of the front shifter box. How do I adjust the set screw collar for the height spring on the shifter lever? (ie, the detent spring for reverse that's above the plastic ball joint inside the cab, hidden by the shift lever accordion boot)

Or, who's the best shop for this sort of thing in Portland OR?

Also, thanks to the guy who had a Vanagon garage sale today in North Portland. I now have a spare ECU, starter, driver side mirror, complete tailgate withj wiper, and all the muffler brackets I needed!

Bretts

1983 Ivory Westfalia 1.9l(?) WBX "Cunegonde"