Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2007 13:14:22 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: right side headlight wont power up ..new relay kit 2 mths ago
Comments: To: TC <trclark@SHAW.CA>

Oh boy, where to start. From your photos it looks like you wired it wrong. The yellow/black you should have unplugged from fuse 4 was the LARGER one on the other end of fuse 4. It looks like what you did was put the relays after the fuses instead of ahead of them in the circuit. That would move the lights on one side of the vehicle only. The large yellow/black connects to one side of fuse 4 AND branches over to fuse 3, powering BOTH fuses and why the wire is larger. The relay power out connection belongs on that side so it would feed both of these fuses for left and right headlights. It looks like you only moved one side of the lights to the relays, the other side is still stock. The smaller yellow/black was only for one headlight and the small yellow on fuse 3 was for the other side's matching bulb.

What is worse, if my take is right the lights you moved have now bypassed their fuses so there is no fuse protection for that side at all!

Mark

TC wrote: > OK So I got list vendor relay kit a few mths ago worked fine until today > the right side headlight high/low beam no longer works > (left driver side, right pass side) > > so i checked check for power no power on high or low & bulb is good > > so I re-checked the relay wiring going back over my notes > all connections feel tight the ground lines going to the star ground pts > still look ok > > so at one point I remove the low beam relay BUT the left side low beam still > works > so I remove both relays & the left side hight/low beams still work... > (I can see the left side light get brighter as a flick the hi-low stalk) > > OK I am not that great at tracking down electrial issue but what is going on > .. > when I remove the relays that should break the circuit & i should not get > lights anywhere ??? > how can the left side still work ??? > (/me hear bad ground ok what does that mean here ?) > > > and yes both left/right high-low have worked up till a few days ago & i > doubled checked the install > and verified My connections I believe are correct & have pics here .. > http://members.shaw.ca/trclark/headlightrelay/hd_overview.JPG > http://members.shaw.ca/trclark/headlightrelay/hd_closeup.JPG > > 14 gauge wires from both relay terminals #85 with uninsulated spade > connector goes to ground > 12 gauge yellow wires from both relay terminals #30 goes to position # 7 > (common power src Y-male connector) > 12 gauge yellow wire from first relay terminal #87 goes to fused position #4 > 14 gauge yellow wire from first relay terminal #86 goes to wire( > yellow-black ) removed from fused position #4 > 12 gauge yellow wire from second relay terminal #87 goes to fused position # > 6 > 14 gauge yellow wire from second relay terminal #86 goes to > wire(white-black) removed from fused position #6 > > ps > yah its too bad a certain list vendor did not pick the different wire color > codes for this kit :( > like maybe brown for the grounds, & maybe red for the pwr src on postions#7 > :) >