Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 May 2007 14:33:52 -0700
From:         Ellen in Oregon <elleninoregon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cockpit of a C-141,
              was: Fabricating a radiator fan on indicator light,
              with surprise ending!

That's a mighty old picture of a C-141 cockpit, John; when I retired as a C-141 crewchief 12 years ago, there were lots more goodies, also on top of the glareshield : )

I will say this (for my vanagon content) they sure were easier to work on than vanagons!

Ellen Lola, '85 Vanagon ASI

----Original Message Follows---- From: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM> Reply-To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Cockpit of a C-141, was: Fabricating a radiator fan on indicator light, with surprise ending! Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:58:37 -0700

> As expected, the LED lit brightly when the fan was energized >and mashing >the button forced the fan on. The unexpected result was; as you started to >drive, air flowing through the radiator made the fan's propeller rotate. >This caused the motor to act as a generator and produce voltage, in turn >illuminating the LED to about half brightness. > Benefit? As long as the LED glows at any speed above 15mph you know the >fan's bearings have not bound up! QED.

You know, I bet if someone took all the various indicators, switches, gauges, and buttons we've all collectively added to our vans and equipped one van with all of them, they'd end up with a really cool control panel , like the nav/engineer panel on the right side of this photo of the cockpit of a C-141: <http://tinyurl.com/2x4ps7>

Personally, that is my goal...

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"

_________________________________________________________________ Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507