Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 May 2007 12:50:57 -0700
Subject:      Re: 102mph - Turbo vs. 6-cylinder
Comments: To: Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>

Here's my two cents on high torque Vanagons.

After replacing the rear CVs (Porsche 924) on my camper after 80h of use (~200hp / ~325ft.lb R-TDI engine), I am really starting to think that >300ft.lbs of torque will require one heck of a money cannon to have everything hold together for a long period of time (say greater than 2 years / 50.000km). Even with a KEP Stage 2 clutch I can make it slip hauling a 1000kg trailer up a 8% grade if I try - with general unloaded road use I have no issues. The first gearbox (rebuilt) lasted 75km with the stock 3rd gear. I have replaced the gear oil this weekend and there is no metal shaving or severe discoloring so I think the gearbox with the after-market 3rd and 4th gears will hold for the long term - it will be interesting to look at the bearings where the CV flanges are in a year or so.

My debate is to see if it is worth it to upgrade to Porsche 930 (108mm) CVs and a yet even more agressive clutch or detune the engine to circa 160hp/275ft.lbs. Even though I hate to, I think the engine will lose some power so I can concentrate on driving rather than repairing. 275 to 300ft.lbs of torque is more than adequate for a Vanagon.

David Marshall

http://www.hasenwerk.ca http://www.fastforward.ca

Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

On Tue, May 22, 2007 11:39, Sudhir Desai wrote: > Not to resurrect this topic, but I found a link of value. > > http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage3.htm > for all of you who like the idea of more power :D > > Sudhir > > On 5/18/07, John Reddick <SVYOLO@yahoo.com> wrote: >> I have nothing against supercharging anthing, turbo or mechanically. >> There is a large aftermarket to get any amount of power you want out of >> a >> lot of engines, including Subaru's. The cost of putting a turbo Subie >> in >> is an extra 1000-1500 in engine cost, plus a bunch more labor. We would >> love to do them, but we when quote a price nobody buys one. Same with a >> TDI, although a WRX motor install is still a couple grand cheaper than a >> TDI. >> Most of the Subaru turbos available are WRX's. 2 liters and not >> much >> low end torque. The newer 2.5 turbos are extremely rare and expensive >> on >> the used market. >> Most of the van owners that want big power and are willing to pay >> the >> money for it are Syncro Westy/Sycnro owners. The turbo Subaru motors >> don't fit real well with the Syncro gas tank. >> That brings up the 6 cylinders. The SVX's are plentiful and not >> that >> expensive on the used market. They are more labor intensive to install, >> but the end result is awesome. >> The newer H6 3.0's are just now getting plentiful and cheap enough >> to >> be affordable for Vanagons. 212 hp and good low end torque also. They >> are only slightly larger than the 4 cylinder Subaru's, and the fit >> should >> be a bit easier in the Vanagon. >> >> John >> >