Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2007 08:58:45 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: right side headlight wont power up ..new relay kit 2 mths ago
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

I found those OEM style crimp on female spade "Latching" connectors for 12ga wires at http://www.vintageconnections.com/ . I bought 3 sizes ... 18-20, 14-16, and 10-12. The 10-12s fit 12ga wires perfectly.

The problem with the poster's installation is that he followed your "Old" instructions where it was said to use a white with black stripe wire ... which was on the wrong side of the fuse. I know that you've since corrected your instructions but anyone who used the old ones and who wasn't thoroughly familiar with the circuits would have had problems.

Mike

Frank Condelli wrote: > Yea, well, that's me and it ain't as simple as you'd think. Those terminal > ends that fit inside the VW relay blocks are special and must come from VW. > The thing of it is VW supplies them with the wires already crimped on and the > wires are YELLOW and Yellow and only Yellow. Maybe I could find some wire > code stick ons that would work and raise the input and output costs. Now I > know your all gonna say you can get male spade terminal ends that click fit in > that relay block and can be crimped on a wire. Yes, partly true, they are > only available, as far as I've been able to find, for 14 gauge wire. Nowhere > can I find them for 12 gauge wire. So crimping the 14 gauge ones to a 12 > gauge wire is a GIANT PITA. So there's the rest of the story ! > > Back to your problem, it sounds like the ground wire to the right > side is not connected. You did separate the ground wires didn't you ? > Otherwise, you have not wired the relay kit in properly. When the relays are removed > there should be NO headlights on. If any are on then they are getting power > and you have not wired in the relay kit properly. > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains (_Collection > for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) )_ Frank Condelli & > Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon > Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley_ Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _ BusFusion_ > (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, > 2007 >