Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 May 2007 21:19:15 -0400
From:         "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cockpit of a C-141,
              was: Fabricating a radiator fan on indicator light,
              with surprise ending!
Comments: To: killer.jupiter@gmail.com

Camped in a Nissan BlueBird Wagon in a weeklong drive around Hokkaido in '81. Would have been amazing in a bus. It's funny, I spent 18 months in Japan and 18 months in Euurope back then and can't recall seeing a bus. Not on the radar, I guess!

On 5/28/07, Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@gmail.com> wrote: > > Speakin of that, I still regret the 69 Westy I almost bought when I got to > Travis in December of 1976. $1900. Clean. Could have gotten a 100% loan from > the credit union. Now that would have been the vehicle for the two years I > spent there. As it was, I bought a 74 Fiat 128 SL and did a lot of car > camping in both it and my GF's Mitsubishi (I think) station wagon. > > > I still have no idea why I didn't buy the bus. Something about the > salesman jerking me around or something. > > tim in san jose > > On 5/28/07, Peter T. Owsianowski <pnoceanwesty@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > Flew many a 141 from Misawa airbase to Yakuska and back in '79/81 on > > Space A. 1st time I saw a 141 was on night guard duty at Ft. Dix Thought > > the guy was going to crash - he came in so steep at McGuire. > > > > Wish I would have known about buses back then! Would have some much > > better camping trips! > > > > Pete > > '79 Westy "Aardvark" > > '87 Westy "Joe's Van" > > '02 Audi A6 Avant > > WWW. Busesbythebeach.com <http://busesbythebeach.com/> > > > > > > On 5/28/07, Aristotle Sagan <killer.jupiter@gmail.com > wrote: > > > > > > The reason they stretched them was because they could. It was known as > > > one > > > of the most overpowered airplanes in the AF inventory in the late > > > 70's. They > > > could also land in a lot shorter field than a C-5 Galaxy. > > > > > > Now the good thing to come out of the C-141B was the idea for Omar's > > > stretch > > > Westy. I wouldn't call that overpowered though. > > > > > > tim in san jose > > > > > > On 5/28/07, Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > > > > > > > Aristotle Sagan < killer.jupiter@GMAIL.COM > wrote: <SNIP> > > > > > > > > I would be surprised if there were still 4 in the cockpit these > > > days. What > > > > would they all do? Ah yes, pinochle, AF style (double deck) > > > > > > > > <SNIP> > > > > > > > > Sad to relate to all of you, but there are no longer any C-141s on > > > > active duty. Budget restraints, or some such. Same story for the the > > > "G" > > > > model B-52s that I used to have under my care. Maybe it was politics > > > > > > > involving the "new" C-17 Globemaster III for the C-141s. Kind of > > > odd, > > > > though. Most of them got a big airframe and equipment update, then > > > soon > > > > after were retired. Go figure. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in > > > which > > > case, you ain't got there yet. > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > -- > Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in which > case, you ain't got there yet. >