Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 May 2007 16:21:51 -0700
From:         Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: head-aches
Comments: To: "Richards, Andrew" <Andrew.Richards@NIKE.COM>

If the gasket between the liner and the head is giving up, you would need to find out which one is it. I usually recut the head to make it new again to fit 100%. I assume, the liners are the same length exactly. It can happen, that the head is not tightened perfectly parallel evenly. It can happen when one tries to do the job having the engine in the car. I think, checking the torques again after a few hundred miles, is not a waste of time. Although, if the job is done real well, it is. Changing the mechanic for one who is more Vanagon specialized is not a mistake. Guarantees are nice, as long as they don't become a nuisance with all the lack of use of the car. Zoltan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richards, Andrew" <Andrew.Richards@NIKE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:41 PM Subject: head-aches

Hey All,

My '87 GL may have sprouted its third passenger side head gasket leak in 30K miles. My mechanic replaced the heads with AMC's at 128K. The passenger side started leaking again at about 134K. My mechanic repaired it free of charge. It now looks to be leaking again at 159K miles. Driver's side has been fine. It's my understanding that I should see at least 50K on a new set of heads/gaskets before any work is needed. Could there be something wrong with the mating surface on my block? Or do I need to find a new mechanic?

I've replaced the radiator, water pump, fan temp switch, and thermostat all in the last three years. Proper coolant used. I've never over-heated the van, but my needle does sit just above the light when warmed up (been told this is fine by Go Westy and other sources). What seems to be a mix of oil and coolant is dripping from the block "nub" towards the front of the vehicle.

Thanks,

Andrew

Portland, OR

'87 Vanagon GL, 159K

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.8.4/825 - Release Date: 5/30/2007 3:03 PM