Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 May 2007 11:05:09 -0600
From:         vanagonvw <vanagonvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Backfiring. How to proceed?

I have an 81 gas engine vanagon. For 20 years of mt passes, on a rare occasion, it would backfire coming down a steep pass in 4th gear, but nothing to think much about.

Recently, I had to replace the muffler, under the stress deadeline of passing the damn state tests, and my choice based on time and finances was a straight through, 'glass pak' steel muffler. Please don't berate me for that I did what I had to do. :-)

This was done in late winter, when I drove with the windows up, and the stereo on, but as it has warmed, the windows are open, and I am hearing some serious backfiring, in all gears, when I back off, or go down even a slight incline. Its bad, really bad. I can assume it came around at the time of the new muffler, but since I didn't listen for it at the time, I am not sure.

I think maybe it could have been backfiring for a long time, but the old muffler was doing a better job of 'eating it' as opposed to this different one I have installed..... Either way, I need to fix it, so I can drive it.

I have been told that backfiring is almost always a hole in the exhaust so that is where I am looking.

All that was done, was to cut the pipe after the flange, weld the muffler on, and weld a strap to hang if from the crossover pipe. I have searched for signs of a leak, and cannot find any. Up close and personal to the muffler with it running, reveals nothing that I can see or hear.

How does one actually test the exhaust system for leaks? The tin makes it inconvenient to check the pipes to the heads, so I haven't been there yet, but at such high mileage, I would be stunned to find that one of the bolts had come loose....

I was thinking of using a compressor, like in a leak down test, only with the exhaust valve open, and then blocking off the tailpipe to see if I could locate any kind of hole.....Not sure if that is a good idea or not. FWIW, it does pretty well kill the engine if I block off the tailpipe while its running. That is how they test for leaks during an emissions test. Not very reliable, but I did it anyway.

Just curious how others might proceed to locate the problem, and to ask if perhaps the problem could be elsewhere? If I had done anything to the engine settings, I could see that maybe it has leaned out or something, but nothing has been touched in that area for years.

Much obliged for any ideas or suggestions, short of getting after me for putting on a cheap muffler :-)

Thanks,

John