Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 May 2007 19:05:08 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Inline 4 - new transmission

I think I missed the joke and read it as simply another "no replacement for displacement"... which kind of surprised me coming from you Dennis, but now it makes more sense. Still, I would also say that while true about adding complexity and cost, if you start lower with both, you can still end up lower in both measures even if you add forced induction(which is such a broad range of possibilities and levels within itself but you know what I mean) than with many larger displacement possibilities. The boxer design(esp OHC) inherent is about as high in complexity and maintenance costs(because of the complexity) as one can go... afterall locating crucial moving parts as far apart as possible from each other, and still having them act as one system is no simple trick. Neither is maintaining the system that allows it, there is nothing simple or cheap in doing so. Then again, we could talk VW style and add multiple forms of forced induction to impress other people that love designing overly complex things for the sake of doing so, and make a real wallet buster.

Oh and I agree whole heartedly on an earlier point... play with the tire sizes... you have a great deal of control on drivability via simple, external, inexpensive rubber... how many different rim/tire combos could one get for the price of a gear change?

Jim Akiba

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis Haynes [mailto:d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:19 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Inline 4 - new transmission

Ok, so instead of cubic inches we can use rectangular dollars to get power.

I am very familiar with the concept of forced induction for increasing power or efficiency of an engine. I was sort of being funny and when comparing normally aspirated engines, a multi valve larger displacement engine will have an advantage over a 2 valve smaller one most of the time. Also, all forced induction set ups add complexity and maintenance costs. Even OEM designs have their maintenance issues. Now maybe the 2.0 Zetec can make as much power as the Subie 2.5, but not the Tiico.

Dennis