Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 May 2007 20:57:19 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gray (grey) water bladder?
Comments: cc: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

> From: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\" Elliott" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:49:31 -0700 > > I've been using a little 2-1/2 gallon collapsible jug under Mellow > Yellow to catch sink drainage. [...] Problem is, in gusty winds, when > the thing is empty or mostly so, it can blow away or at least slide > enough so that the hose pulls out.

How about an oil drain pan like a Blitz 11838? http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Oil%20Drains%20and%20Pans/podp15od.htm 15 quarts (3.75 US gal, 14.2 L), and available at most FLAPS, at least around here - this might have something to do with the fact that they are made just up Route 66 in sunny Miami, Oklahoma, but I'm pretty sure they are distributed nationwide. I've had a couple of them for doing oil changes for several years and they haven't leaked yet.

The flat top would make it easy to put a rock or brick or something on top of it to hold it down. Or maybe a tent stake through the carrying handle. Depending on the garden hose, the opening in the center might not be quite large enough to fit the hose - if you're almost there, a short slit in the end of the hose might do it, or you might have to switch to a chunk of clear vinyl hose with a garden hose fitting on the end from the hardware store. It doesn't collapse like your existing jug, but if you have two of them they will stack.

The one Tom Buese mentioned is probably their 11837: http://www.blitzusa.com/products/oil/Oil%20Drains%20and%20Pans/podp10od.htm This on is 10 quarts (2.5 US gal, 9.5 L). I've got one of these, too, but its only disadvantage is that with advancing age, sometimes the plastic grate tends to fall into the pan if you drop an oil filter on it. Otherwise it works OK and doesn't leak.

If you really need it to be collapsible and not totally huge (a few hundred gallons), maybe you could re-use something like a diver's lift bag http://www.carterbag.com/encpill.html or exhaust-operated car jack http://www.bushranger.com.au/exhaust_jack.php .

Maybe you could install a hook or protruding bolt head on the bottom of the Westy that you could hang your existing jug on, maybe with a bungee or big rubber band around the jug handle and the hook to keep the jug on the hook. If I remember correctly, jugs like yours have a plastic handle and wire rings to connect the handle to lugs molded into the jug body. Maybe you could thread a piece of stranded wire through the rings and tie the jug to something on the bottom of the Westy.

Matt Roberds