Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 May 2007 23:55:45 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Inline 4 - new transmission
Comments: To: Bill MacLachlan <billmacla@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Bill, i don't know how much your 1.8L is power wise but i'm sure that your under 100-120hp, i have a .77 higher gear on my van now and the 167hp Subi is just ok to push that van with the higher gear.

Now, to be more technical: even if sometime you feel that your reving to high (are you???) at 70mph (around 4000rpm), loosing 500-600 is a lot for a 4 cyl engine, too much in average. Even my engine as lost considerable "punch" when shifting from third to fourth (typical of 4 cyl who need revolution to produce power), i need to rev the third a bit more so it feel nice when shifting to fourth. The RPM is now about 3400-3500 at 70-73mph, at that speed, the Subi feel nice, just perfect i think, now, we need to understand one thing, a Subi Outback car will rev at about 2800-3000 at those speed, of course, the car is lighter. With the same engine and a stock trany in Vanagon, it will now rev at 4000... too much, but 2800 would be to low... so now the .77 high fourth gear come handy. A bit more RPM than the car because it need it to push the extra weight with more ease but also it's now not reving for nothing at 70. That said, we bigger engine, the perfect trany would now be a 5 speed.... so the .77 is a compromise.

If i drive the van normally, shifting third at 3200-3500, the rpm drop to low at 1900-2000, a bit to low, even the Subi feel underpower at that rpm, pressing the pedal doesn't do much different, it as no good usable torque at that RPM.

So, that said, i would stay with the stock trany in your case... because people don't understand that the engine need to "Breath", so maybe your engine will not at 70. Breath mean that in need to produce a minimum RPM (power/torque) to push that heavy van against the wind, if not, that engine WON'T last. This is my opinion, but i know that i have a good "feel" about how engine SHOULD "feel".

The Subi 2.5L feel just ok at 70-75 at 3600-3800 rpm against the wind, so anything under 150hp will suffer, if you don't believe so, you don't understand and feel an engine needs. For those who drive a stock Wasser engine at 75, your up for a breakdown or quick wear. The wasser doesn't feel right at 4000+ rpm, keep it lower if you want that engine to last. A 2.1L feel just ok at 65-68 on freeway, no more. If you say the oposit, good for you!

Today i have test driven a customer 2.0L VW inline (like Ticco i guess) in a Syncro, sorry, i'm i'm NOT impress at all, far from it... vibration, not much more power... oufff, i would not spend a dime for such a conversion. I would put my money on a rebuilt Wasser. I don'T know what was the cost of that conversion, neither the reason... but men ho men, not for me. But hey, i guess that some go that way for the same price of a fully rebuilt Wasser????

Just a last thought, to know if you have enough power/torque at a certain RPM/speed, press that gas pedal and fell/see what is the reaction... if none, the engine is working to hard to produce power.

I hope that i have answer some of your questions.

Ben http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm