Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:31:23 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dangers of Ebay Adventures
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

It is that simple! Trailer it! I have purchased 9 late model Vanagons, mostly Carats and Syncros off eBay and have trailered all of them back to NY. My trusty F250 and Featherlite hauler have never let me down. Sellers descriptions are good for cosmetic stuff but mechanicals are usually off.

dylan

----- Original Message ---- From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2007 5:12:25 PM Subject: Dangers of Ebay Adventures

Just had a couple come here yesterday after buying a diesel vanagon on ebay. They got it for less than $2000 so you would think it was a good deal. However the problem came when they decided that they were going to fly out here to NJ and then drive the van back to Texas. He called me and asked me what I thought. I recommended having the thing trailered to Texas from NJ but he thought the $900 price tag was steep for this. Instead they flew out here (not sure what that cost), picked it up from the guy and started to drive the two hour drive to my shop from where they bought it. First problem, all four tires were dryrotted. One blew out on the road and they were towed to a shop and replaced all four ($400). When they arrived here I inspected the van and found that all of the brakes were pretty much shot. I replaced them (around $300) and they were off again, only to break down a short distance from me with an overheating issue. I went and got them and put them up for the night. The overheat took out the engine (low compression now), so now they are flying back to Texas and having the van trailered out there after all.

Moral of the story, if you are buying a van on ebay from far away, weigh the cost of having it trailered to you against the cost of all of the fuel you are going to use getting it home, your one way air fare, all of the expenses you can incur with repairs/breakdowns on the way, and just pay the money and have the thing trailered to your house. It works out to be cheaper almost every single time. I have had my share of "adventures" like the one these kids are having and I say they are overrated. :-)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242