Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:56:28 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      What's Wrong With my Compression?

I am caught by surprise from my recent rebuild of my 1.9 engine for my 83 westy. It's not really a rebuild. I dropped the engine and replaced the liner with a set of new Cofap liner. Lots of assembling but not rebuilding work. After 250 miles of breaking in I got 3 cylinders at 150 PSI but cylinder #3 reads less than 100.

Re-adjusted the valves. There wasn't anything wrong. Re-adjusted them anyway but same result. I am at a loss why this is happening.

I did nothing to the block by assuming it still has some good life remaining as the westy has only reached 110k miles this year. I only checked and lapped all the valves of the pair of rebuilt heads by a VW dealer 30k miles ago. All vlave guides are tight (no wear I can feel especially intake valves). After lapping I checked valve seating by pouring rubbing alcohol into the combustion area (valve seated by their own weight. I made sure there was no leak for 3 minutes. I thought I got a pair of perfect heads.

Why am I getting compression out of #3 at less than 100 PSI while other three are all at 150? My westy does run better than before. This tells me the new liner does make a difference now. But if #3 has a compression of only 90 it makes the #3 a dragging cylinder. I have cheked it 3 times. I don't think there is anything wrong in how I tested it. Engine sounds really like a new one. I did a very good job in assembling the headers and the exhaust. All valves are fairly quiet. They sound just right to me.

Is it possible I got a lemon Cofap? Kind of disappointed by the result. I am not sure if I did anything wrong. I am willing to drop the engine again. Any suggestions at this point will be appreciated.

When I installed the liner I did not check the ring gaps for all rings. I did not align the gaps to a Y shaped orientation either. I read from the archive and someone said he used to check the gaps but stopped doing it because he never found it necessary. He did not align the gaps either because they will move anyway. Can this be the problem I am getting now? The reason I did not do it because it is difficult to compress the rings and put the pistons back into the cylinders. I was afraid that I might break any rings. Is this proven to be a big mistake now?

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. http://travel.yahoo.com/