Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:31:31 -0500
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy type/serial plate

> Last 6 digits of MW's VIN are 133897, and sez "6/84"

ha!!! gotcha!! :)

> So are VINs sequential?

yup. one right after the other. which is why i'm trying to find them out ... cause they are also painted and transmissioned and shipped off to Westfalia in bunches ... and i wanna know how big the bunches are. :)

>Does this suggest that between your twin (played > by Haley Mills) and MW (also played by Haley Mills) there were > something > like 111,nnn Vanagons that went to foster homes?

ayup. and the closest to YOUR bus is another camper, 133667, also 'ivory' (not yellow. unless yours is REALLY yellow-yellow), and a 4-speed, but was in Wisconsin on ebay. and had been repainted (claimed the original color, though).

> The interiors presumably have their own serialization, which maybe > makes > yours being built 4009 - 1021 = 2,988 interiors before MW's?

yup. Westfalia wouldn't be german if they didn't keep numbers and such like that. :) now, what that also tells me is that you have 2988 campers out of 112,000 buses ... or about 3 percent. so vw sends 3 percent to Westfalia for conversion. or Westfalia buys 3 percent. trouble is, in that 112,000 buses are also single-cab pickups and double-cab pickups, and panel vans and highroof panel vans and all other manner of specialty 'trucks'. so we still don't know what percent of the 'vans' (non-pickups) go for campers.

getting closer, one by one!!! ;) unca joel ye olde vin hunter (sounds like a grape killer, don't it?)