Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Jun 2007 20:14:15 -0700
From:         Michael Hart <mjhart853@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fw: Main battery tight fit /Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the various advice on this subject. Having got the battery out and tried putting it back in a few times, I have now figured out why it was such a tight fit at first. - PO had 'fiited' (ie jammed) a piece of wood down the front of the battery (rather than more standard metal bracket), presumably to stop it moving. However, he (?) did this without leaving any way to get the piece of wood back out except to bend back the lip of the box to allow the battery to move back a little to loosen the wood (I'm not the first one to have bent the metal lid back, there's plenty of evidence of similar efforts before I got there...) Now the battery goes in & comes out very easily...(even with the lid carefully bent back to virtually original shape), even after adding a substantial mounting plate for the jump seat. I will stick with the MT-41 battery size when I replace this one. Thanks again! Mike '87 Westy

----- Forwarded Message ---- From: Michael Hart <mjhart853@yahoo.com> To: Vanagon List <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2007 12:15:51 PM Subject: Main battery tight fit

Whilst fitting a jump seat into my '87 Westy, I had to take the main battery out (to drill holes & add a mounting plate on the bulkhead to support the jump seat bracket). Getting the battery out was a PITA - very tight fit, especially front to back (had to bend back the back lip of the battery box and bend the cables as far forward as possible).

The battery is an Interstate MT-41. Since the battery is > 3 years old, now that I've got it out, I'm considering replacing it.

Is there a better fitting (ie slightly smaller front to back) battery that you can recommend? I've seen discussion of MT-42, 91 etc..

Thanks, Mike '87 Westy

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

____________________________________________________________________________________ Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing. http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php