Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2007 00:07:04 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      oh, brake I think I need thee

So, today I pulled up on my parking brake handle and pulled it right off. Grrr.

For such a simple mechanism, it sure was a pain to put it back together properly.

It consists of 3 pins, each with a circlip (or supposedly they have circlips, 2 of mine don't.) One pin connects the rod/cable that actually is connected to your rear brakes. One pin is the pivot point and holds the handle to the base. And the 3rd one was the real pain. This one holds the ratchet that engages the teeth on the base and is what gets moved when you push in the button at the end of the brake handle.

The button itself is attached to a wire shaft, which has a hook at the end. The hook engages a part of the ratchet. And the shaft itself is carefully aligned within the handle by a couple of dimples punched into the metal of the handle. The shaft also has a spring on it so that 1) the button pops back out after you depress it and 2) so that the ratchet re-engages the base's teeth after it as the handle is lifted up. The shaft has some interesting (and necessary) bends in it so that the hook properly engages the ratchet.

If things aren't aligned properly, the brake doesn't engage and hold.

When I pulled up off, I pulled the handle OVER the end of the teeth on the base. This necessitated me removing the ratchet to get things back on. And I couldn't get the ratchet on until I figured out how the whole bloody thing worked. Which meant I had to take the plastic handle off (breaking it because I was in a hurry, but I did have a spare on hand as I had meant to replace the plastic handle anyway.) With the handle off, there was nothing holding the shaft and spring in place. So blooey. They were out and disassembled too.

If I had 3 hands the job would have taken about 5 minutes instead of the 2 hours it ended up taking.

I would like to put in a petition that we be equipped with 4 arms in the future...