Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:18:25 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's Wrong With my Compression?
Comments: To: benoit <huotb@videotron.ca>

You are probably right. 3 of mine are at 145 - 150 PSI. The #3 is around 120-125. It's not perfect but acceptable. I am going to do a more aggressive break in by climbing a steep road (probably 30 degree) a couple of hundred feet long with lots of throttle. This may give some combustion force to help sealing the rings and possibly valves too. The engine is gaining horse obviously. It looks like #3 is slower getting in shape but it is getting there.

What I have learned from this rebuilding is it is doable to rebuild wasserboxer by yourself. But be aware that you probably done have all the equipments for checking things thoroughly like a proshop does. So there will be always some risk that after installing the engine back on to the van you discover some problems. It's a risk and tradeoff. If you live nearby Benny you are extremely lucky. I decide to do it myself and take the risk. I already screwed up once three years ago. This time I am more likely to be fine.

Thanks for everyone's repsonse to provide helpful tips. I will report back probably a few weeks later when I checked the compression again.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7