Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:34:58 -0500
From:         Allen Hill <route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front wheel bearings
Comments: To: mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>

The biggest problem is getting the grease off your hands when repacking the wheel bearings! As I have a couple of trailers and various other cars I bought a regular "wheel bearing packer" from the FLAPS that makes the job of repacking the bearings much easier. You will need to clean out the hub completely of all old grease prior to removing the old races. I just use a long punch with a big hammer to drive out the races. There "should" be a couple of notches to allow 180 degree punches to the race surface. I also have both 1/2 and 3/4 drive sockets, among which I can usually find a socket with an extension to seat the race.