Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:25:39 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Decel Valve.....Yikes!!!

This is just some thoughts. I do not own air cooled Vanagon so you decide if these make any sense.

Bakckfiring is usually caused by fuel/air mixture too lean. Perhaps you have a leaky intake manifold. Check the gaskets between the intake manifold and the heads. According to Bentley the two bolts are tightented with a very small torgue only. If the bolts are loose it will leak air from there. Just two bolts on each head. So it's easy to check and fasten a bit.

Or somewhere between the heads and the throttle there is a leak... The main vacuum source is coming out of the intake system. Perhaps you have a leaky vacuum up front in the brake vacuum unit. Or perhaps you have a leaky emission component that has a hose connected to the intake chamber. The brake vacuum unit sometimes will leak just slightly but enough to upset the digijet system.

When small leak like that occurs the vacuum is slightly reduced which makes the AFM to read lower air flow thus it commands the ECU to reduce fuel injection. The mixture becomes too lean and backfires. Hope these make some sense on Friday.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ TV dinner still cooling? Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/