Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:02:34 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calling Aux Battery / Wiring Experts...82 Air cooled Westfalia
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>

IF wiring was set up as per an 81, wouldn't there be a 16A fuse (S4) required between supply and fridge? Is this what PO may have attempted?

If NOT, then is it possible the fuse in pic is for a supply back to fuse panel?

Though if done this way (NOT stock) the fuse at panel should suffice.

Hopefully I'm not confusing matters, but it may be worth checking to see if red wire (B1 in pic) is being used to supply 12V to accessories at fuse panel.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 6/6/07, Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > Yes, that is modified for a second battery. The installer screwed it up > though, no fuse for the kitchen! The correct wiring is pretty simple. > > The white wire from the Westy kitchen connects to the blue wire, which > triggers the fridge relay to only run on 12 volts when the engine is > running. That version of Westy wiring has the fridge relay screwed down > on top of the fridge where you can't get to it easily. Looks like > someone got confused by the early wiring and added a second fridge relay > wired as some versions of the Bentley shows. > > Until you determine if you have the 182A or 182B versions of the fridge, > you won't know if the added relay helps or hurts. The 182A version has > the fridge relay as part of the fridge. > > Mark > > > Burdett, Jean-Pierre wrote: > > Hi gang I need help (again) , > > > > > > > > My water and battery LED cluster does not function, not does the water > > pump. Fridge works. I have an 82 Air-cooled so mine does not have a > > fuse box beside the pillar it's under the seat. > > > > > > > > I got under the seat into the battery compartment and now I'm really > > confused. It looks like I have the Aux battery kit installed from the > > factory, but I'm not sure having never worked on a Westy before. See my > > pics below and let me know if you can help me. > > > > > > > > LEDs are nice to haves but critical. If I do have an Aux battery kit > > then it would be great to have that working properly. At the very least > > I want to get the water pump functioning . > > > > > > > > So...anyone who can share their experience / ideas here I would be very > > grateful! > > > > > > > > Photos of the wiring - the problem is the wires are all loose so even > > if I put a battery in there I don't know where the rest of the wires > > connect to or if they are already connected OK . I wish I new what the > > inline fuse looked like! > > > > http://picasaweb.google.com/Karen.Lafontaine/OurBlueBuggy82Westfalia/pho > > to#5072800571741635442 > > > > > > > > I think this is a Bosch Relay right? But are there are wires missing? > > Or does it look right to you? > > > > http://picasaweb.google.com/Karen.Lafontaine/OurBlueBuggy82Westfalia/pho > > to#5072800597511439234 > > > > > > > > <http://picasaweb.google.com/Karen.Lafontaine/OurBlueBuggy82Westfalia/ph > > oto#5072796276774339410> > > > > Note I am buying a Bentley Manual on e-bay but I wont get it for a > > week. > > > > > > >