Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jun 2007 20:11:02 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Video on how NOT to install a new Westfalia tent

I can feel your pain, Bryan.

A few years back I replaced the tent on my 84 Westy and it was an experience I, too, would not want to repeat any time soon. The instructions said to remove the top completely, which would mean getting 3 or 4 guys to help. That was out. So I crawled around the upper bunk (no mattress) with tools gouging me in the back. I could not figure out why the instructions said to attach the bottom first. Since the finished edge was on the bottom, it should get screwed down first and the slack should be up top. So that's what I did (after I had already stapled the top up!).

The end result was good, but the fabric was not really sized right. There was too much fabric in the back (trimmed it off), but the front was so tight that you could flick the canvas to make a drum sound!

Replacing the tent canvas is a challenging project, to say the least. One that will try your patience and drive you to drinkin'!

By the way, unless a wind storm or branch rips my canvas, I am happy as a clam with my old one-windowed tent canvas. 8-)

Keith O. 90 Westy Syncro "VikingWagen" Past VeeDubs in the family 1984 Westy "Brownie" 1980 PU diesel 1978 Rabbit diesel 1979 Rabbit gasser 1963? 23 window Splitty (wish my dad had kept that one) 1965 Bus 1969 Bus 1959 Bug