Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2007 14:50:14 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: spring vs gear clamps on silicone hose Re: Silcone Coolants
              lines              ???Re: 85 Gl Auto Tranny 5/8" Coolant
              Hoses to              Tranny Cooler Busted-
Comments: To: TC <trclark@SHAW.CA>

Silicone hose requires a lined or otherwise gapless clamp. The hose supplier should have what you need. Personally, I do not see a huge benefit for automotive application. The VW original lasted some 15-20 years. Get that OEM style soft stuff and be set. The gapless pinch clamps will work well with the silicone hose. If you want to go crazy, there are lined, screw clamps with tension springs under the screw to allow for expansion. I have also been playing with heat shrink type clamps and those plastic squeeze ratchet clamps.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of TC Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 1:06 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: spring vs gear clamps on silicone hose Re: Silcone Coolants lines ???Re: 85 Gl Auto Tranny 5/8" Coolant Hoses to Tranny Cooler Busted-

Gawd I gotta stop talking to myself :) I friend mentioned he heard some shop talk that you should really use spring clamp on silicone because it has more of a tendency to expand/contact more so than rubber coolant hose & using the smooth faced gear clamps it has more a tendency to weep at the joins ??? any experience here / first hand knowledge ??