Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:00:57 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC - 86' Cabriolet
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

How old is the fuel? My first concern will be fuel condition especially with the mechanical fuel injection. Internal, unseen corrosion can become a nightmare. In particular, the fuel distributor control plunger can get stuck usually making for the injectors to stay open and fill the cylinders with fuel. The engine can seem to work fine, and suddenly during acceleration the hang up occurs.

Next, was the car driven at all? Did gear oil ever get splashed on the tranny bearings or tops of some gears? Wheel bearings, shocks, brake cylinders. Even after an external check up, some of these tings will need future attention. Of course all belts, hoses, and tires will need inspection or replacement. Especially 8 year old tires.

You will want to check the engine for excess internal moisture. The 20 minute starts have possibly done wonders for loading the crankcase with moisture and acid. Smell carefully for a bad heater core. Does the AC still work?

Dennis