Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jun 2007 03:15:47 -0400
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 1988 Vanagon "Carrier" for Sale
Comments: To: "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>

this appears to be a modified L or non GL 88 vanaagon. i just pulled the bed and front rubber mat out of one of these that has been in a yard in the detroit area for almost 10 years. i had the chance to buy it when it came in smashed in the rear corner. my understanding is that they were special order at the dealer. they came like this from my understanding.

black rubber floor mats front and rear grey tweed seat fabric (super duty) analog clock instead of the tach that was in all other vans at the time

i think perhaps some other things were options but might have been standard. the one i parted had

AC and the big AC tunnel down the center. tweed rear facing jump seats tweed rear 'weekender' bed. rear heater under the seat. rear seat shoulder belts.

in this one it appears it never had AC or power steering. at some point the interior seats were changed from the tweed to the current interior. see those cutouts in the rear bed cushion. those are for the AC ducts when the van has AC which this one doesn't. that plastic tunnel from the heater over the floor pointing to the back is for when you don't have a rear heater under the back seat. the diesels came with this piece and the heater was an option. vw finally admitted it wouldn't fly in the NA market and made the rear heater standard for the most part.

all back in the good old days. a month or so i was at the dealer getting some parts and looking over the new rabbit. the only option you can strip there is the auto tranny :(.

jonathan