Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:20:34 -0700
From:   David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:   Re: Is this the cause of my engine compression problem?

Thanks a lot for a couple of responses sent to my mailbox so far. These responses suspect that I have valves maybe too tight. This a real possibility. But before I drove the westy to the mountains I had adjusted the valves a couple of times. I set the adjusting screw to 1.5 turns, istead of 2 turns on the Bentley manual.

Well, should not try to jump into any conclusion too soon. I will try to re-adjust the valve again and try 1 turn instead.

Just now I recall something during my weenend trip to the mountains. I remember the temp gauge had a trend to move over 1/2 slightly. It wasn't that much to cause real concern but I noticed it and I used to see it slightly below 1/2 most of the time, even climbing hills as long as the hills are not forever.

I also noticed something. I believe my coolant level in the reservoir tank was in the middle between Min and Max Sunday morning. Now it is near the Max. This should not have happened. I suspect there is a leak of combustion gas through the head gaskets into the cooling system. Maybe this is cauing my temp gauge showing slightly higher readings.

Now does it make more sense that my exhaust header is preventing my cylinder heads from sealing the combustion chamber on #1 and #3? The exhaust header was 2-3 mm off before it was put on the engine. It was quite a struggle for me to put it on. I really suspect that this is really the cause of the compression issue.

I can be wrong. So has anyone seen this kind of probelm?

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow