Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:16:23 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fryeday question on sunday..

Some quotes:

Why is She Called She?

"A boat is called a she because there's always a great deal of bustle around her...because there's usually a gang of men around...because she has waist and stays...because she takes a lot of paint to keep her looking good...because it's not the initial expense that breaks you, it's the upkeep...because she is all decked out...because it takes a good man to handle her right...because she shows her topside, hides her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys." George Moses in Falmouth, Massachusetts

Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz put it more succinctly in an address to the Society of Sponsors of the United States Navy: "A ship is always referred to as 'she' because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder."

"Anyone who was ever rough on...basically anything with a motor that was rpm'd or mishandled it would break or burn out---so they need to be treated as a lady. (gentle)."

Cya,

Robert

p.s.- While I am not inclined to anthropomorphize objects, my wife is... hence the name "Garcia's Ghost" for our Vanagon. Guess that would make it a 'him'.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 3:40 PM Subject: Fryeday question on sunday..

Why does everyone call their vanagons '"her"? "She____this, she that, I gave her some______" Like that...Mine, it behaves more like a guy...kinda stubborn at times, but fairly rational and even-tempered...Not like my Gnarly 928, which behaved like Rosie O'donnel on steroids! Definatly a she, that car...Sometimes, three unrelated things would melt-down all at the same time, for no apparent reason...I would think.."Ok, here is what I did...so I must caused_______. Wrong! It was just angry at me and decided to break down... Not so with my Van. It seems to let me know before it busts me in the mouth..or wallet...Like..."Ok dude, you can fix me now, or fix me later, but fix me you will..." Whereas a female type vehicle would sweet talk you into thinking all is perfect..until you get into the middle of...Nevada or Baja or South Central LA, and then.........Powie! "Take that, mister!" I don't think my vanagon is a gal at all... Ducking now and covering up in my Nomex blankie for being a sexist...ha.

Don Hanson