Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:26:59 -0400
From:         John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT E85 in our future?

In the US, the way ethanol is synthesized is very energy negative. More fossil fuels are burned making it than are released by using it. Why is it cheaper? There is a 50 cent per gallon subsidy by the government - from your tax dollars. Sounds great, we subsidize farmers .50. Sorry, that is not the case. We subsidize the companies that use it in their gasoline mix. Who is that, you ask? Exxon, BP, etc. Yeah, that is right. The .50 cent subsidy is going to the oil companies. Some countries have invested heavily to make ethanol energy positive - Brazil being the best example, but it took them a couple of decades of government subsidies to do so. If you are currently using E85 in the US you are increasing the damage to the environment, never mind that your van is putting out less emissions. Someday ethanol will be a clean, cost effective, efficient fuel in the US. That day is not today, or any day in the near future. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are actually the facts as they exist today. Want to reduce your emissions' effect on the environment: biodiesel/veggie oil is probably the best bet, and gasoline, I hate to admit it, is a very close second.

John