Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:03:25 -0400
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: OT E85 in our future?

This is a classic second look at ethanol, very idealistic, but not very practical. Especially for folks like me that don't have any disposable income. So predictable how we've landed on either side of this argument.. the vendor that sells e85 ready engine conversions, and one that doesn't. So there's the disclaimer, but here's my 2 cents:

It is true that ethanol isn't a long term viable solution in its current state. Cellulosic and other rendering methods are required for it to be a truly net benefit.

Sure there may also be a subsidy to the oil companies, and it may not be right. However, it isn't right now, and a new BS subsidy isn't going to make it "more wrong" than things already are. If I can save money from my own wallet by using ethanol, I will. It came from my tax money so you say, so some savings is mine too. I can either take it now, while it's possible, or stay tight to gasoline, say the whole thing is wrong and let someone else take the money and run. If I could pay $1.99 a gallon for it here in MA, you can bet I'd do it. Do you believe that because the oil companies don't get money for an ethanol subsidy that everything will get better and they'll stop the type of tactics that they've employed throughout their histories to move vast amounts of wealth? No, it won't stop... however, if in the course of e85 propagation, even if it just raises awareness.. and nobody has a notion of understanding of the problems you raise, I argue that it is STILL a step in the right direction. People have to be prodded and pulled into change, and while the change may be slow and even painful.. and perhaps undertaken for some of the wrong reasons, if the direction is good, then the outcome will be better than not having the option in the first place.

Besides, I can run e85 right now without lifting a finger... if it cost me more money to do it, I certainly wouldn't but I already can. I can see why it serves little utility if you have to invest additional money to see a benefit, and I would definitely agree that it wouldn't be worth it. But when it comes right down to it, I can save money doing it, and redistribute slightly less of what I make. As far as my tax money going into it, that's an even better reason to take some back, as my tax money(and yours) is going to it anyhow. We'll be running e85 next year whenever possible, it would have saved us over $300 in fuel costs alone this last trip to SDM07 and it was only half the way. Not to mention, we'd get a nice bump in our hill climbing ability. It is easy to argue that there is a great conspiracy and that by burning e85 you are supporting some evil empire... but you already are, keep some of your money for your own sake, and if you have a strong enough ethical dilemma, that money would be much better suited raising awareness of the real long term solutions that can be achieved with a variety of methods, than if you just paid it to the oil companies. I'm not even sure if everything you said is true, especially regarding worse pollution overall... but even if I take it all to be, I'd still rather have the option than not. And it's coming to a pump near you... if you have the ability to run it, it's absolutely worth considering. Right now there is an arbitrage opportunity for drivers, whether they want to take advantage based on their beliefs vs the cash in their wallets, they can decide. Some have the ability to use it now, and help our own bottom lines... so unless you can offer an immediate alternative and lobby for the subsidies to end(not a bad idea, but good luck) it makes no sense to argue the virtues of gasoline over ethanol. There are few in either... but ethanol is still the better fuel from an engine/thermodynamic standpoint and better for my wallet. If development weren't underway on other rendering methods to make it a viable solution, and if I had a checkbox option to control the portion of money on my taxes that go to what energy initiatives, then you'd be right and I'd agree with you.. but they are, and I can't.

Fire when ready; flamesuit on,

Jim Akiba

-----Original Message----- From: John Reddick [mailto:SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 9:27 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: OT E85 in our future?

In the US, the way ethanol is synthesized is very energy negative. More fossil fuels are burned making it than are released by using it. Why is it cheaper? There is a 50 cent per gallon subsidy by the government - from your tax dollars. Sounds great, we subsidize farmers .50. Sorry, that is not the case. We subsidize the companies that use it in their gasoline mix. Who is that, you ask? Exxon, BP, etc. Yeah, that is right. The .50 cent subsidy is going to the oil companies. Some countries have invested heavily to make ethanol energy positive - Brazil being the best example, but it took them a couple of decades of government subsidies to do so. If you are currently using E85 in the US you are increasing the damage to the environment, never mind that your van is putting out less emissions. Someday ethanol will be a clean, cost effective, efficient fuel in the US. That day is not today, or any day in the near future. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are actually the facts as they exist today. Want to reduce your emissions' effect on the environment: biodiesel/veggie oil is probably the best bet, and gasoline, I hate to admit it, is a very close second.

John