Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:08:58 -0700
From:         Craig Morton <rangermorton1972@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Bleed Screw

Good information from several members. Thanks to all. My van is an '85 2WD and the female threads have the slit for bleeding. The bolt is a brass bolt which I had measured as a 7mm. However, it is damaged and probably was an 8mm as suggested. This is good because 7mm bolts are a bit rare. The length of 12 mm checks out. Someone suggested it would be 1.5 pitch but I doubt this as coarse 8mm bolts are typically 1.25 pitch. Brass will be hard to find locally but SS might be available. So unless someone comes up with different information on it I will be looking for a brass or stainless steel 8mm x 12mm bolt with a pitch of 1.25. And, yes, the copper washer is important as the main sealing takes place between the bolt head and the copper washer and between the copper washer and the radiator surface. I couldn't find another copper washer either but refinished the old one with very fine abrasive paper.

Thanks again.

Craig

Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM> wrote: In a message dated 6/12/2007 9:04:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Oxroad@AOL.COM writes:

>>I think there are two, if not three types of bolts used for the radiator-but >>>definitely two.

OK, I searched the ETKA list. Looks like in '83 there were two radiators. I'm no expert on the software, but there are two different radiators listed--I'm not sure if one is exclusively diesel while the other is for a gasoline engine.

It seems this is an early model radiator and listed first:

Radiator: 068 121 253A

For the bleeder bolt it uses "bleeder valve" 113 615 273A The "Remarks" column says: M7X35 and "ALSO USE 211 611 483"

This next seems to be the radiator listed through all the later model water-cooled Vanagons:

Radiator: 068 121 253E

The bolt for bleeding is listed as N 010 237 6 "Remarks" column says: Screw, hexhd M8X12

I think this last one means you can use any M8X12 bolt.

I'm not swearing by anything, though. Maybe someone else can decode this. Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA, CA

--------------------------------- You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.