Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:02:12 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: gas tank question - full tank woes
Comments: cc: joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>

> From: joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET> > Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:34:59 -0500 > > a friend of mine has a 90 multivan automatic. > IF he fills the gas tank, the bus refuses to accelerate from a dead > stop until like 5 or 10 seconds after he mashes the gas. and if he > shuts off the bus and waits, the gas tank makes a thunking noise a > short while later.

Here's my guess.

In theory, the normal vent connection to the tank should be at the highest point of the tank. There might be another connection (to the charcoal canister, or whatever - something that eventually leads to the outside) that's at not-quite-the-highest-point. If the normal vent is plugged up, such that the other connection is acting as the vent, you could get the behavior you describe. With a full tank, the other connection is submerged, but after you burn a little fuel, it connects with the air space in the tank and can act as a vent again.

Outside of that, I've had the fuel tanks out of various (non-VW, fuel injected, mid-80s to mid-90s) cars, and a common theme is little check valves or filters or other gadgets in the charcoal canister lines - some of them there to make sure liquid fuel doesn't get sucked into the canister; some of them there (I think) to make sure that liquid fuel doesn't come out the vent lines in the event of a rollover. If one of these things is acting up, it might cause the trouble you're having - you might replace a suspect gadget with a straight piece of hose, or even leave it off altogether, for a short test drive to see if that improves the situation.

Matt Roberds