Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:04:58 -0700
From:         brady horrace <dofunk@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timine belt

First I just need to say that I did not mean to offend anyone or seem like I have, or had any negative vibes towards anyone or conversion choice. I made that last post and this post in the context of if we were all sitting around a campfire say at Hollister hills off roading for the weekend in our vans and I just commented on something I know about with my conversion and something I read about with the subi conversions. So here is why I chimed in I recently replaced the stock cam gears on my motor to adjustable ones and did the timing belt at the same time. The timing belt for my motor is like 40 bucks. While doing this the the post about the subi timing belt and the amount of time it takes to change it came up along with the comment about the fact that by the time you need to change a belt on the subi the vans will be long gone. In the recent post it was written that it takes about 3 hours to change the subi timing belt. You have to lower the motor and undo part of the exhaust to get to it all. This recent post made me think back to a post from Hans when we were talking about timing belt changes between the Zetec and the Subi and it was said that the Zetec could be done in an hour and he stated From a post March 10, 2007

"We can also replace a timing belt in less than an hour on an installed EJ22 with less than $50 and a few hand tools. The one extra tool we need is a floor jack." I was really surprised to read that the subi could be done in less than an hour in the van, as there is allot less to do to just to get to the timing belt on my Zetec as installed in my vanagon and it takes me about an hour.

So now its being put out there that it takes like three hours to do the Subi timing belt not less than one hour, which still sounds pretty fast considering all that has to be done to get to it. I do not know for sure as I have not done a Subi timing belt. I'm just going by what know as far as exhaust removal time, rusy fastners and the time to lower a motor.

I hope we all have our vans by the time they need a timing belt change. How may folks have more than 200,000 miles on their VW WBXers if they had timing belts that's at least 2 that would have had to be changed. I figure most people would plan on having their vans around that long again with their new conversion what ever it is. just thought that comment was funny.

Ok my fellow vanagon people, I will now go back to work!

Brady in MA

Zetec inside!

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/