Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:32:13 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is this the cause of my engine compression problem?
Comments: To: dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM

I think your really grasping at straws here. The flat surface of the head where the rubber gasket meet has absolutely nothing to with where the head is positioned when tightened down. If ground, milled, altered or whatever, it will only affect the amount the rubber gasket is compressed. When the heads are tightened down, it is the top of the cylinders hitting the crush or metal gaskets pushed into the cylinder recesses that determine where the head sits. This is also the critical interface relying on both cylinders being perfectly parallel and level and the recesses in the heads being properly machined to seal the top of the cylinders to keep the coolant in the jacket and combustion gasses in the cylinders.

If the heads are properly torqued, it is unlikely the exhaust mis alignment will cause a head to lift. If it does, you will have coolant system troubles.

Compression tests alone are often un reliable and as you found out, do little to tell you where the problem is. You need to do a leak down test to quantify the leak and then full air pressure to determine where the leak is.

As for the exhaust mis alignment, it is probably the result of an aftermarket exhaust. This is a common problem. You can;t just bend the pipes as then the flanges will be at an angle causing the gaskets to leak. best choice is to drill out the mounting holes.

If you only replaced one liner, it is possible the liner is a slightly different height than the other. This will keep the head from properly sealing. This problem again can show up as a cooling system problem due to combustion gasses getting into the cooling system.

The most important part of any solution is proper diagnoses. This requires some knowlwdge and the proper tools. A leak down tester and small compressor is relatively low cost. if you plan doing your own work, the compressor is almost mandatory anyway. A low cost Milton leak down test gauge is around $75.

Dennis