Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:44:21 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: V-belt replacement
Comments: To: Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>
Comments: cc: Jerry Royston <gmr@obpa.usda.gov>

Well, here is my take on the procedure, for my '90 Westy. It isn't done often, and since my feeble old brain can't remember too well, last year I wrote it up with location & size of fasteners, sequence, etc. My hands don't have a lot of strength either, so sometimes I have to lever a belt off the pulleys. Or maybe it was a few MM short, but all belts listed came from list vendor(s). And the comment about turning the A/C pulley is probably unique to my situation. The shop that converted the A/C filed a flat spot on the edge of the pulley to get at the hex head bolt easier. And the comments about tightening X-number of bolts may be pretty basic. But then some people drive out of the campground with the pop-top up! Not me, yet :).

Feel free to comment or criticize. Jerry

REMOVAL, REPLACEMENT & ADJUSTMENT OF VANAGON DRIVE (V)-BELTS

Location of belts, back (back is back) to front, or closest to bumper to closest to engine: Power Steering, Air Conditioner, Alternator/Water Pump

Power Steering belt R&R: Loosen 13mm adjustment bolt at top, left. Loosen 17mm nut underneath (may be very tight). To remove belt, you will have to remove small coolant hose that runs through it and connects to plastic coolant loop at top rear of engine compartment. Use large screwdriver or pry bar to leverage over the pump and adjust to 10 to 15mm. TIGHTEN BOTH BOLTS.

Air Conditioner (compressor) belt R&R: May or may not be necessary to remove 13mm bolt and hose bracket on top, to gain movement. Loosen large 8mm hex bolts on top pivot. Move pulley to where flattened edge will allow access. Use 8mm hex key and 8mm racheting wrench together. Or 8mm hex bit socket with regular rachet and necessary extensions. Loosen two 13mm nuts underneath, left side. Back off (loosen) 13mm adjusting bolt on top left (a lot!). Replace belt and adjust to 10 to 15mm deflection. TIGHTEN ALL FOUR BOLTS!

Alternator/Water Pump: Loosen 13mm bolt underneath. Loosen or remove 13mm adjusting bolt on top left. Replace belt, adjust to 5 to 10mm deflection. TIGHTEN BOTH BOLTS!

BELT NUMBERS & SIZES Power Steering: #023903137A ContiTech AVX 10x1075. (Bentley says 9.5x1080)

A/C Compressor: #255272916 ContiTech AVX 13x1150 (13x1155?).

Alt./Wtr.Pump: #025903137G ContiTech AVX 10x1100.

07-04-06

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna Skarloken" <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:10 AM Subject: Re: V-belt replacement