Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:18:29 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is this the cause of my engine compression problem?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Dennis, you are absolutely right about it. The cause of misalignment of my front exhaust header is not by the cylinder heads being ground. My rear header is in perfect alignment. I should have realized it myself.

I think I have confirmed that my compression problem is caused by this front header. I removed it from the engine this morning. Re-torgued all head nuts. All were correctly torgued previously. I had to remove the intake system in order to re-torgue. Double checked and double checked just like what I did previously.

After reassembling of everything, except the front header I did a compression test immediately cold. I read 160-155-150-155 PSI out of 4 cylinders. This is the first time I ever had good pressure reading out of #1 and #3 concurrently. #2 and #4 always had good pressure concurrently. Yesterday I had only 60 PSI from #1 but it had 150 before the weekend trip. The #3 had 100-110 last week and became 150 yesterday and now it is still 150.

The liner I put in was new Cofap. Not likely to have a problem in it. The front header is out of alignment. I noticed it in my previous failed rebuild already. I was able to install it with some struggle I ignored it totally. I noticed the same alignment problem this time and I still ignored it.

I know I can't bend it to bring it into proper alignment. It has to be bent correctly and it is nearly impossible. So I am going to drill the holes of the mating flanges. The holes will become slightly oval. I only need to shift the holes by 1mm from each side (2 holes on each side though). That will shorten it by 2mm. Hope I will be able to install it back without dropping the engine.

I believe I under estimated how difficult it is to rebuild a wasserboxer. I successfully tore apart my 84's engine to reseal the heads once. I removed all cylinders and pistons. I thought if I ever went that far I can replace the liner in this rebuild.

This is going to be a good lesson from a misaligned header, if this proves to be the real cause of the problem. I will report back tomorrow. I can't get it done today.

Thanks a lot for your professional advices. They do help correcting some of my incorrect understanding of many things.

Also, many thanks to whoever pmailed me to help, especially to Bob from Boston for his article about wasserboxer lifters.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=graduation+gifts&cs=bz