Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:16:52 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is this the cause of my engine compression problem?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

Now some background history of my 83 westy.

-My college classmate and a neighbor as well bought it new in 1983. I bought my 84 Vanagon a few months later. -The westy developed the popular combustion gas leaked into cooling system syndrom at about 30k miles. My 84 was fine. -My friend left the country and sold me the westy cheap with the problem. -I contacted California BBB and got VWoA to agree to rebuild the engine for me at about 80k miles. I agreed pay 25% of the bill though. -The leaking problem was fixed but the engine continued to be powerless. -Before it reached 100k I decided to rebuild it again but by myself. -My rebuild failed because I started up the newly rebuilt engine for 30 minutes with no oil pressure. The engine continue to be powerless and it burnt oil. -At 110K now I reduild it again. This time I installed a new liner. Engine is still powerless and it showed missing compression on #1 and #3.

Based on this brief history I now believe that the front header being too wide was probably the cause of the original leak problem. The engine developed the leaking syndrom probably before 30k miles. A dealer worked on it but did not fix it. The work order gave me enough proof to get VWoA to rebuild the engine for me when the westy was 10 years old but I had to pay 25% of the cost.

The rebuild had a new pair of cylinder heads but the front exhaust header was still too wide so it continue to prevent the heads from getting enough compression. No leak any more but no horse power either.

Then I screwed up in my first attempt to rebuild it with a new liner. It only add one more problem, consuming oil, to the existing low compression problem caused by the front exhaust header.

So I rebuild it again this time with another set of liner. Well, the compression check I did caught the problem. Did not realize what caused it initially. With the front header removed I finally got excellent compression out of all 4 cylinders. I believe I did nothing wrong to torgue the head nuts. I remember the engine sounded really strong initially before the header eventually "lifted", as Dennis said, the #1 and #3 slightly and the compression was lost.

Jesus, if the header were ever slightly wider I would probably had taken care of it before completing the rebuild. Or had it been slightely narrower it would have been fine for the engine to work.

I hope this is enough evidence to blame the faulty header to have crippled the westy since its early age util now at 110K. Talking about VW quality. I think I am close to end the chapter. I will know for sure tomorrow.

David

____________________________________________________________________________________ Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool. http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/