Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:27:39 +0200
From:         Jens Jakob Andersen <jayjay@ZORCK.DK>
Subject:      Re: Clutch problem - input needed

Additional info.

I lay under the gearbox, listened while Ida worked the cluthc-pedal.

I can hear the clutch-springs moving. So the clutch is definately being activated (declutched).

I can also hear a small metallic "klink" when the slavecylinder has travelled as long as it can travel. Wonder if this metallic "klink" comes from: 1. Releasebearing reaching end of travel inside the clutch. 2. Slavecylinder-piston bottoming out in slavecylinder (that would define the problem to be inside the clutch somewhere) 3. Releasearm hitting something - blocking it from moving.

I will try to get a slave-cylinder tonight or tomorrow morning, and change it - and see if the problem persist.

If it persist, I have either: 1. A leaking master-cylinder (leaking inside, past the upper seal, thus letting brakefluid go back to the resoirvor instead of building pressure.) 2. A problem inside the clutch-housing.

Could the problem be in the slavecyilnder, and be build as: 1. With the worn clutch - I assume that the releasebearing is closer to the gearbox, and travels short distance. 2. This could lead to a "rust-edge" inside the slave-cylinder 3. With a new clutch, releasebearing is further towards engine, and has to travel further - thus piston in slavecylinder will hit the "rust-edge" that it didnt hit before?

Only one problem then - why, oh why, was I also having the problem with the old clutch?

/JJ