Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jun 2007 12:29:35 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch problem - input needed
Comments: To: Jens Jakob Andersen <jayjay@zorck.dk>

Ok, so same clutch pedal behaviour as before.

Hmm....

if it's not the master/slave cylinder or related hydraulics, then you likely have to drop tranny again.

Before doing that, have helper depress clutch pedal while you watch the slave, and clutch lever to see what it does.

*** make sure Clutch Lever is not binding on slave cylinder bracket ***

Is clutch housing bolted/aligned correctly? ("far fetched" problem!)

The limited clutch pedal travel is likely due to a part in clutch housing.

Was the Release Bearing Guide Sleeve torqued down properly and in good shape? If it was loose or too worn, it seems to me that the bearing would bind in its' travel.

Is it possible that Clutch Lever bushings/bearings are so worn that lever is binding?

Did you check for play in Release Shaft?

Neil.

On 6/9/07, Jens Jakob Andersen <jayjay@zorck.dk> wrote: > Hi Neil > > Yes - same behaviour. Maybe the clutch pedal could move a bit further > towards the floor (when bleedscrew closed), and after bleedscrew > open, it moved the rest of the way). > > Weird thing is, that when I drive the car, engaging and dis-engaging > the clutch feels quite normal (if it wasnt for the grinding of gears.) > > I.e. when I start, there is some travel in the cluch pedal before the > clutch is fully engaged. > > So it feels like the clutch definately has some travel - if feels > almost right - if it wasnt for something driving the gearshaft. > > In my head it can be these thing: > 1. Pilotbearing defect, and thus spinning the gearshaft. But the > pilot bearing looked nice. (Can I pull the pilotbearing without > pulling the flywheel? It looked like that the flywheel is blocking > the sleeve of the pilotbearing? > > 2. Flywheel rough - thus not letting the frictionplates slip. But the > surface of the flywheel looked very nice and smooth. > > 3. Clutch release bearing not working properly. > 3.1 Can be releasearm not moving freely. Yes, it was quite cruddy and > rough, but we cleaned it nicely (didnt pull it though :( ) and it > could move OK after that. > 3.2 Air in the clutch hydraulic pipe. We did bleed it. 5-10 strokes > of the cluthcpedal with nice clean airfree brakefluid. Should be enough? > 3.3 Could be a rough edge in the slavecylinder, blocking it to move > full stroke. > 3.4 Could be a rough edge in the casing of the gearbox where the > releasearm is placed. Again - we didnt pull the releasearm and > renewed the bushes. > > But I am really really puzzled. > > JJ > > > At 20:47 09-06-2007, neil wrote: > >>When I bleed the hydraulic system, funny symptom. > >>Ida depresses clutch, I open bleedscrew, clutch-pedal goes the rest > >>of wayto the floor. > > > >Hi. > > > >Did clutch pedal behave the same way before you installed new clutch? > > > >i.e. limited travel? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >On 6/9/07, Jens Jakob Andersen <jayjay@zorck.dk> wrote: > >>Hi, > >> > >>I have a clutch problem. > >> > >>For a while I have had a clutch that coudnt disengage fully. I > >>suspected worn pilotbearing. > >> > >>Today I changed the clutch, put in a brand new LUK clutch - so nice. > >> > >>The Pilot-bearing looked fine, so I didnt change it, just gave it a > >>little bit of grease. Used mypinky to grease it - felt fine. > >> > >>When I started the engine, I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!. > >> > >>It feels like the clutch just doesnt dis-engage enough. > >> > >>I have to switch off engine, put in gear, start engine with clutch > >>depressed, other foot on brake, since cars just wants to drive. > >> > >>When I bleed the hydraulic system, funny symptom. > >>Ida depresses clutch, I open bleedscrew, clutch-pedal goes the rest > >>of wayto the floor. > >> > >>Looks to me like some kind of problem, that the release-bearing arm > >>cannot turn enough. Maybe problem with the release-arm bushings? > >>Maybe problem with slavecylinder? > >> > >>I am fully puzzled, I will get another slavecylinder early sunday > >>morning (used one), and try to put that on my car,and see if it > >>solves problem. > >> > >>Anyone have ANY idea of what can be causing the problem? > >> > >>And does anyone know how much the slavecylinder-piston should be able > >>to travel? > >> > >>/JJ > > > > > >-- > >Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > >http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > >