Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:05:56 -0500
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      hokay ... it's FRYEDAYE!! ;)  time for some off-topic stuff:
              national parks, part I

<message in two parts. begin part 1>

if the summer heat ever disappears (and i have it on good authority that it will ... eventually), some folks might want to go camping. and in the July 2007 issue of Motorhome magazine, some BMF-RV folks wrote an article about their favorite places to go ... maybe some of you folks could write up similar small 'reports' about the places you like to go??

10 Best National Parks for RVers Motorhome magazine, July 2007 Bert & Janie Gildart

From mountains and deserts to glaciers and redwoods, America's got you covered.

The U.S. National Park Service (NPS) administers a network of nearly 400 natural, cultural and recreational sites, and of those, 58 are national parks. From these tallies my wife, Janie, and I selected 10 we think are tops for RVers.

Delineating that list was challenging, made slightly easier only because we wanted our grouping to be both RV- and family-friendly, which is a way of saying each park diversity. Overall, we believe our top 10 meets those criteria.

Because most RVers are well-traveled, your Top 10 list might differ from ours (if you would like to share your Top 10 picks with us, please send an email to letters@motorhomemagazine.com). In the meantime, consider the following, and if you do travel to these areas allow enough time to do more than simply "collect" these parks, for they are all national treasures.

for more information on all National Parks, check out www.nps.gov -------------------------------------------------------------

1. Acadia National Park Bar Harbor, Eastern Maine Coast Northeast http://www.nps.gov/acad/

At 1,530 feet, Cadillac Mountain in Maine's Acadia National Park is the highest mountain along the Eastern Seaboard. Often filtered by a thin ocean mist, the sunrise soon forms a golden orb that floats motionlessly just over the horizon, and then for a moment nothing appears to move ... not even time.

Indeed, the simple phenomenon of the rising sun is inspiring, but so is the park's interior, something John D. Rockefeller, Jr. recognized when he selected the area for a summer home, and throughout the years constructed beautiful carriage roads.

Others also established such coastal homes, but Rockefeller recognized the nation's need for such an area in the East appropriate for recreation. To help, Rockefeller donated much of his land for park use, and in 1916 that, in part, became Acadia, America's first national park east of the Mississippi.

Here, his legacy lives in the form of the park's now-famous carriage roads taht are eagerly sought out by cyclists. The old, but well-maintained, roads thread 45 miles throughout the park, providing access to other of the park's natural features including incredible tidal zones.

Acadia offers easy access to ocean settings as well as great camping. If sites are full at the two campgrouns (Blackwoods, 306 sites; Seawall, 214 sites) then hang out in one of the numerous commercial campgrounds just outside the park until a park site opens. We always gravitate toward Blackwoods. --------------------------------------------------------------

2. Big Bend National Park Southwestern Texas-Mexico border Southwest http://www.nps.gov/bibe/

Down in Texas, along the Rio Grande in Big Bend National Park, there's a great deal of silence, beauty and space ... creating an ideal habitat for the turkeys, javelinas, roadrunners and coyotes. It may well be this diversity that attracts a faithful following who come to enjoy Big Bend by canoeing, hiking, watching birds or simply soaking in the park's hot springs.

Located in southwest Texas, the 801,000-acre park is defined by the Rio Grande, which formst the boundary between Texas and two Mexican states. But the park touts more than a famous river: In the middle of Big Bend there's a grand series of peaks known as the Chisos, accessible by dinghy along a narrow and curved access road (vehicles longer than 20 feet are not recommended). Ponderosa and pinyon pine carpet the cool flanks of these hills, providing a haven for black bears and cougars. The park also bisects one of North America's most significant deserts, the Chihuahuan, creating an abundance of variety.

Big Bend has four campgrounds: Rio Grande Village RV Campground, Rio Grande Village Campground, Chisos Basin Campground, and Cottonwood Campground. Of the four, our favorite is Cottonwood, though this may not be for everyone, as AC generators are not permitted. It's perfect, however, for those with solar panels. The two campgrounds at Rio Grande Village differ in that the "RV" campground has complete hookups. Immediately adjacent is another campground that does allow generators. Despite the limitations, it is where most with motorhomes tend to wind up because of the extra space. Water is available and so is a dump station. ------------------------------------------------------------

3. Death Valley National Park Western California-Nevada West Coast http://www.nps.gov/deva/

One January day several years ago, we stepped out of our camper and walked into Badwater, a jagged land that is also the lowest point in North America, and immediately began hearing strange sounds. Pausing and cupping our ears, we listened. All around us, the ground spoke: it snapped, crackled and popped.

Although the sound emanated from beneath our feet, the cause remained a mystery until that night when we atteneded a naturalist program at an auditorium near our campground at Furnace Creek. After detailing the phenomenon, the naturalist went on to say that Death Valley was not just the source of one mystery, rather a plethora taht can all be easily explored by basing your RV in one of the park's many campgrounds and then ranging out.

For openers consider Salt Creek, which is located just a short distance from Furnace Creek, home of the desert pupfish. Records show the species has always been at Death Valley. How, then, did it establish itself in a creek that begins as a spring and ends by evaporation?

Or consider the nearby "Racetrack", a grand expanse of flat playa where rocks somehow move, leaving tracks. But because no one has ever seen them move, there is no definitive explanation.

But that's not all. Death Valley consists of towering sand dunes, a timeline for the huge lake that once flooded it and Scotty's Castle, a "fantasy house" built by and for eccentrics.

Death Valley has seven campgrounds appropriate for motorhomes. All have water and dump stations. Of these, the best is Furnace Creek, with Stove Pipe Wells running a close second. Texas Springs provides sites, though they are not as commodious as the other two.

For those wanting to spend several days at Scotty's Castle, Mesquite Springs offers great accomodations. -------------------------------------------------------------

4. Glacier National Park Northwestern Montana-Canadian border Northwest http://www.nps.gov/glac/

Established in 1910 because of its scenic splendor and great wildlife diversity, this 1.01-million-acre park in Montana could take weeks to explore, but that's not necessary thanks to the 50-mile-long Going-to-the-Sun Road, on which you can usually only travel the entire stretch during the summer and early fall (and 11.5 miles in the winter).

However, there are size restrictions on the Going-to-the-Sun Road: Vehicles, and vehicle combinations longer than 21 feet (including bumpers) or wider than 8 feet (including mirrors) are prohibited between Avalanche Campground and the Sun Point parking area. But from July 1 through Labor Day, visitors with RVs can leave them at the campground and still see the park via a free shuttle service and be able to get on and off at any of the 16 different stops along the road.

From West Glacier to the summit of the road at Logan Pass, motorists gain 4,000 feet in altitude. About a quarter of the way up, the road plunges into a tunnel; its windows framing Heaven's Peak, one of the park's most spectacular mountains. Several hundred yards beyond, the road makes a switchback and appears like a shelf on the face of a perpendicular cliff.

Going-to-the-Sun Road peaks at the 6,646-foot-high Logan Pass Visitor Center. From here several trails provide hikes through an area that is likened to the Arctic. One leads to the Hidden Lake Overlook, where you should be on the watch for goats, marmots, bighorn sheep and even grizzly bears. The views are sweeping, creating the sensation that you are seeing eternity.

Glacier has six campgrounds suitable for RVers. The largest is located on the park's west side and is known as Apgar. It is located near Apgar Village, and here you will find the visitor center, gift shops, a camp store and restaurant. Horseback riding reservations, boat rentals, a shuttle service and Red Bus tour reservations are also located in Apgar Village. The campground itself is situated in trees and provides RVers with shade and some privacy.

Other sites include Fish Creek, Two Medicine, Rising Sun, St. Mary and Many Glacier. ----------------------------------------------------------

5. Joshua Tree National Park Southern California West Coast http://www.nps.gov/jotr/

Because you'll find two distinct deserts in one park, Joshua Tree rates high with us. Sprawling over 800,000 acres are aspects of both the Mojave and Colorado (part of the Sonoran) deserts.

Like all deserts, however, you should proceed with some circumspection. Once, while admiring the beauty of the Cholla Cactus Garden, our dog leaped from our rig and immediately brushed against cholla needles, which deeply embedded themselves.

Nevertheless, in late evening light, cholla is beautiful, as is the sight of a forest of Joshua trees with arms upraised, as though in prayer ... or so thought the Mormons who named the tree. Look for the species in the park's upper reaches ... the Mojave.

Look, too, for immense fields of granite boulders near our favorite campground, White Tank. However, we can no longer camp there as our new rig exceeds 25 feet, so we opt for Cottonwood Campground, which is near the park's south entrance and one of our favorite park hikes, the Lost Palm Oasis.

To thoroughly enjoy the park, you'll need a week, because it offers lost mines, a Native American culture, rock climbing, backpacking and mountain biking.

Joshua Tree has nine campgrounds, but there are limitations. No hookups are available, though Black Rock and Cottonwood have dump stations. At Hidden Valley and White Tank motorhomes cannot exceed 25 feet.

<to be continued>