Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:08:36 -0500
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      hokay ...it's FRYEDAYE!! ;) time for some off-topic stuff:
              national parks, part II

<message in two parts. begin part 2>

10 Best National Parks for RVers Motorhome magazine, July 2007 Bert & Janie Gildart

From mountains and deserts to glaciers and redwoods, America's got you covered.

The U.S. National Park Service (NPS) administers a network of nearly 400 natural, cultural and recreational sites, and of those, 58 are national parks. From these tallies my wife, Janie, and I selected 10 we think are tops for RVers.

Delineating that list was challenging, made slightly easier only because we wanted our grouping to be both RV- and family-friendly, which is a way of saying each park diversity. Overall, we believe our top 10 meets those criteria.

Because most RVers are well-traveled, your Top 10 list might differ from ours (if you would like to share your Top 10 picks with us, please send an email to letters@motorhomemagazine.com). In the meantime, consider the following, and if you do travel to these areas allow enough time to do more than simply "collect" these parks, for they are all national treasures.

for more information on all National Parks, check out www.nps.gov -------------------------------------------------------------

6. Mesa Verde National Park Southwestern Colorado Southwest http://www.nps.gov/meve/

RVers may appreciate Mesa Verde, in Colorado, more than any other group of travelers. We travel with our homes and accouterments that include microwaves, air conditioners, solar panels and WiFi. Now contrast that with what the Ancestral Puebloans had and you can see how far we have advanced. But keep in mind the wisdom these ancient people exhibited in selecting their sites to optimize warmth, grow various types of produce, protect themselves against enemies and communicate. If suddenly thrust back to the years spanning A.D. 500 to A.D. 1300, I'm not sure I would have survived so well.

In 1906 Theodore Roosevelt created Mesa Verde National Park to "preserve the works of man." About the same time, Congress passed the Antiquities Act, essentially to further protect the approximately 4,800 ruins that help attract the curious to what has since become a World Heritage Site.

Because of tis accessibility by auto, RVers should never bypass this park. In fact, the best way of acquiring a feeling for Mesa Verde is to follow the 6-mile Mesa Top Auto Loop Road, which traces 700 years of Pueblo history at 10 overlooks and archaeological sites.

But for an intimate look at the kivas and actual living accomodations you can't beat the 15-minute hike from the Chapin Mesa Archaeology Museum to Spruce Tree House. While in the area consider, too, the 2.4-mile-long Petroglyph Point Trail. If you would like to explore Cliff Palace, Balcony House or Long House guided by a ranger, stop by the Far View Visitor Center for information and tour tickets. By driving the Mesa Top Auto Loop Road, making these short hikes and experiencing a ranger-guided tour, your appreciation for the resourcefulness of the Ancestral Puebloan people will grow beyond casual curiosity.

Mesa Verde offers wonderful camping just 4 miles inside the park at Morefield Campground. Because there are 435 sites, there's always plenty of space. But if you want one of the 15 full-hookup RV sites, you'll have to make reservations. -----------------------------------------------------------

7. Redwood National and State Parks Northern California West Coast http://www.nps.gov/redw/

In a grove of trees in this California park, there's a plaque expressing one of Lady Bird Johnson's most unforgettable memories. She said taht "walking through the redwoods ... seeing the lovely shafts of light filtering through the trees ... <makes> all our problems seem to fall into perspective."

More specifically, Mrs. Johnson was referring to the staggering beaugyt of the world's tallest trees. Sequoia sempervirens (evergreen), a species so old that some at the 131,983-acre park date back about 2,000 years. Considering such great age it is little wonder some trees reach the staggering height of almost 380 feet.

Measured against human life spans these trees are ancient, but their survival has not always been easy ... as you will see if you walk most any trail departing from Elk Meadow Campground. Individual trees have survived repeated floods, droughts, and fires ... and have done so because of various biological adaptations that elevate the species to the Ripley level. In various displays and interpretive materials the park details the species' ultimate great growth.

Redwood National Park works in conjunction with the California State Park system to accomodate visitors. Because the national park surrounds both Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park and Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, camp at either of these two areas and you'll be properly positioned for exploring this incredible complex. Both can accomodate large motorhomes, and both have dump stations. --------------------------------------------------------------

8. Shenandoah National Park Northwestern Virginia East Coast http://www.nps.gov/shen/

Shenandoah National Park, in Virginia, may be the nation's most compelling hikers' park, despite the fact that most trails begin by either an ascent or descent. Here, very little is level except, perhaps, for some small portions of the Appalachian Trail, which parallels yet another famous "trail", the Skyline Drive.

The two-lane Skyline Drive is 105 miles long, and it is important for campers who want to begin their explorations of Shenandoah by simply driving. Along the road, dozens of pullovers provide views of such spectacles as Old Rag Mountain, which contains some of the nation's oldest rocks.

All trails lead to attractions, such as the park's 15-some major waterfalls including 93-foot-high Overall Run Falls, its highest. Or it might lead to Hawksbill, the park's highest mountain at 4,051 feet. Hike this short trail anytime of the year, but the path is particularly appealing in spring when it is clogged with rhododendrons and azaleas.

Shenandoah offers five campgrounds with roomy sites. All are located near the Applacachian Trail and all are accessed from Skyline Drive. Because of its central location, we always try for Big Meadows at Milepost 51. -------------------------------------------------------------

9. Yellowstone National Park Wyoming, Montana, Idaho Northwest http://www.nps.gov/yell/

If you are a wildlife enthusiast, Yellowstone, which touches Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, will never let you down, although sometimes your observations will make you cringe.

Recently, along the road to Cooke City, we watched a cow elk who had inextricably sunk into the soft snow and mud that was corroded by underlying thermal activity. The cow was doomed to a fate of prolonged starvation; prolonged, that is, until a pack of coyotes dispatched her almost instantly.

But what intensified the drama was the appearance of a lone wolf, which despite predictions to the contrary of all us local wolf experts, waited her turn until the coyotes had satiated themselves. Then it moved in. Later that day, the wolf lifted her head and howled in a way that engulfed the Lamar Valley with a sense of the primordial. If you have time, you could easily spend the entire summer in America's first national park.

Yellowstone was established in 1872, in part because of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, but also because of Old Faithful, a component of the world's most extraordinary geysers. But not to be overlooked are the antelope, elk, bear, and all those buffalo, which can at times make the earth tremble by the pounding of their hooves. So, too, can the galloping elk, as dense at times as migrating caribou.

Yellowstone National park offers 12 different campgrounds. Because we're interested in wildlife photography, we generally stay at Canyon, Mammoth or Norris. These campgrounds also position you well for exploring the park's many geysers.

Xanterra Parks & Resorts operates campgrounds at Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge RV Park, Grant Village and Madison. Fishing Bridge RV Park is the only campground offering full hookups. There are a limited number of campsites over 30 feet available in Yellowstone; large RV sites are located at Flag Ranch, Fishing Bridge RV Park and West Yellowstone. --------------------------------------------------------------

10. Zion National Park Southwestern Utah West http://www.nps.gov/zion/

Geologically, scientists believe Zion, in Utah, is one of the nation's most compelling parks because it forms a "staircase" linking the ancient rocks of the Grand Canyon with the younger rocks of Bryce Canyon. Agewise, Zion is in between, and because of its more moderate elevations and ease of access this park merits undivided attention.

First a National Monument, Mukuntuweap became Zion National Park in 1919. In 1927, engineers started construction on the famed Mount Carmel Tunnel. But it was built originally for passenger cars, although that's been modified. Park managers have learned to acommodate motorhomes by briefly halting traffic so that RV enthusiasts can drive through the center of this arched tunnel.

Once in Zion, stay at Watchman Campground, or one of the commercial RV parks just outside the park. When the spirit stirs, catch the shuttle for Zion Canyon, the only vehicular means by which you can access that gorgeous area in the summer. And as you progress, soak up the splendor offered by the Court of the Patricarchs and the Temple of Sinawava with their secluded hiking trails. Allow the formations to stire you intellectually and spiritually. Only then will you come to understand the mind-set of the Mormon elders who named these rocks. Fittingly, it was the majesty of the formations that opened their eyes to what was and was not important.

What might these rocks do for you? -------------------------------------------------------------- <end message>