Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:07:21 -0300
From:         David Etter <detter@MAIL.AURACOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar panel for top of Westy

Hi Frank: I'm an amateur, (french for lover of whatever) no expert in electronics, but after doing my research, I picked up a Kyocera 120 watt panel+ controller in Michigan for$525.xx USD. I got the best deal by going on e-Bay. 2 years ago. Now the included controller, I had to ditch because it used a mechanical relay to turn the charging circuit on and off. The panel puts out over 7 amps. (multiply the watts x 0.06 to give you the maximum amperage output) in bright sunlight. Get one that claims a 'short' of 21 volts, The new controller http://www.cirkits.com/scc3/ , I bought and assembled myself. It's awesome! And then add a digital ammeter and a voltmeter, but arrange your circuit so that you can monitor current in and out of the spare (from the panel- not the alternator) battery; you will be surprised by the effect of a single cloud, haze or a tree branch. I can send you set-up pictures if you like or call / e-mail me to get more ideas. I can run the fridge plus have power left over to charge the spare when the unobstructed sun is between 10 am and 3-4:00 pm. Use 10 gauge wire and connectors from the panel into the main circuit which itself should be 8 gauge. Fuse (10 amp) the panel inside the connector box under the panel itself. Make it quick disconnect and don't worry about hailstorms. I saw a demo in an RV show of some idiot salesman jumping on the very same panel. He probably sold it to some unsuspecting sucker; not that I saw any damage from his enthusiastic sales pitch. Good Luck and enjoy the Southern Sun when you go.

David(dsl82westy)

P.S.: I bought that specific controller because it offered better control of values when working with AGM's. I would have preferred a model with auto low-voltage shut off (10.2 volts) but none seem to be available, so I looked around and found such a beast "Type IV RV" http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-converters/battery-brain.htm

Now Cdn Tire offer one model of this 'Battery Brain' but their cutoff is 11.7 volts. with no plans (or clue) to import the RV version.

or another option...from Aust. at http://www.12volt.com.au/ under http://www.12volt.com.au/General%20Htmls/webcat2003/meters.html

Model # BSPA10.5 However, repeated requests and e-mails beyond confirmation that they would ship to Canada have gone unanswered.