Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:26:28 -0700
From:         Jeff Michal <jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: rear brakes ?

So a little bit off topic, but I went yesterday to get an inspection. The mechanic at the filling station did the whacking with the hammer and pulled the right rear drum off my 90 GL with what appeared to be very little effort. He indicated that the shoes were on backwards and that this was an inspection issue. He rejected my van and sent me away. I took a look at my bentley book and at the tiny pictures I could see on the busdepot website. It didn't look like it was even physically possible to install them incorrectly because of the hand brake levers. I took my van to my VW mechanic this morning and he showed me a good high res picture of the shoes. It seems pretty clear, the shoes simply cannot be installed backwards. Someone confirm for me, small shoe in the front or in the rear? My mechanic has my van right now and he is getting it inspected by someone else. How can a trained mechanic make a mistake like this? At a minimum the inspector cost me several hours of my time, and at the most I can see an attempt to defraud me. The longer I own my Vanagon the more I worry that every mechanic I let touch it is going to mess something up, and this doesn't help much. I am considering contacting the State of Virginia about having the garage's inspection license revoked, regardless of whether or not they return my money because it just is not fair for them to be wrong and waste people's time. Does anyone have an opinion? Am I being harsh? Should I just get my money back from them and let it go? Ya'll chime in, I love opinions.

Jeff 90 GL

----- Original Message ---- From: Chris Lisica <wavanagon@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:34:11 PM Subject: Re: rear brakes ?

Pretty much what everyone has said. Don't be afraid to whack the drum. I used a piece of 2x2 oak that I had laying around so I wasn't pounding directly on the metal drum w/ a hammer. The first time I did this, I even thought it would be a good idea to drive around the block to heat them up, but to no avail. I just had the rear brakes off on my 1972 F-100 and I was actually able to get those off easier than my van! Don't pry on the dust shield, it bends very easily. Happy beating....

On 6/14/07, John Meeks <vanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > > On 6/14/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: > > Hi, "84 van, no power brakes, manual tranny" > > > What I did so far was to tap around the drums, which seemed to loosen > up. > > Don~ First time I removed the rear drums from my 85, I would describe > my tapping more as "pounding" using a rubber mallet. The drums > eventually loosened. Don't be afraid to give it a good whacking :-) > > -- > John Meeks > > Vanagon Rescue Squad > http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm > > '91 Multivan, '85 GL > Top o' Northern Michigan > KC8ZFN >

-- Chris 88 Vanagon GL 02 Golf GLS TDI (SOLD, looking for a Westy, now that I know what I really like to drive)

____________________________________________________________________________________ Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow