Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:18:23 -0700
From:         Syncronicity1 <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: jump seat installation

Hi Jack,

I installed a jump seat in my Syncro. Wish I had taken some pictures, but there really isn't much to it. I previously owned a Wolfsburg with jump seats and absolutely love them.

1. Buy: a. The jump seat. b. The mounting bracket. Note that these come in left or right so you have to get the correct one. c. The seat belt reel. It mounts on the bracket. d. The seat belt receiver, the longer item with a cable, uses the mount for the front seat belt. e. hardware. I always try to get the original bolts, nuts, etc. since they probably were engineered for the right strength and such.

2. Remove the floor carpeting and sound proofing from the floor.

3. Find a Wolfsburg and measure the location of: a. the bracket on the upright and b. the round retainers for the foot pegs. I did this but wish I had done a better job, or kept the measurements so I could send them. Maybe there are good drawings on the internet somewhere (EKTA?).

4. Mark the locations for 2 holes in the upright section behind the front seat to mount the bracket and the 2 round foot peg retainers. With a friend perhaps, hold the seat in those marked locations and make sure it feels right, and also make sure that the front seat can slide back far enough. If you get the jump seat at the wrong angle, the front seat will not be able to slide back to it furthest point.

5. Go to a welding shop. My neighborhood welder had some round pipe sections that he welded to the floor for the jump seat foot pegs. He charged about $40.00. Make sure to spray paint these areas as needed for rust protection.

6. If passenger side, remove the battery!!! Drill holes for the mounting bracket, and then bolt all the stuff together. The bracket has oblong holes so it can slide up/down a bit before final tightening to align just a bit. However getting the foot pegs and bracket in the proper locations are very important for correct alignment.

7. Cut the carpet as needed for the foot peg mounts, and maybe the jump seat cross bar if you have thick carpet.

Maybe others will comment. I am not the most experienced mechanic and I am sure there are some other recommended steps. I think I saw something recently that showed a reinforcing plate on the bottom of the floor (under the van) for the factory jump seat installs. I didn't know this at the time, and so didn't use it.

Also, one optional note, but very important if desired: I disassembled the jump seat I bought and refinished all the metal. The seat bottom and the back simply unscrew. Usual: clean, sand, prime, spray. I think I used Rustoleum for appliances. If I remember right they have some black spray paint for appliances that is supposed to be real hard. Restoring the metal makes the seat look like new assuming that the upholstery is in very good or better condition.

Also my seat didn't come with the lever that pushes the little clip to fold the seat up, nor did it come with the plastic side panels, so check those items when you find a seat to purchase.

I put just one on the driver's side, so the access in the compartment under the front seat was good. For the passenger side you'll have to remove the battery to drill holes.

Roland